The UK Dart 15 Association

Tiller bar length...

Dart 15 Chat
Tom Gurney
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Tiller bar length...

Post by Tom Gurney »

Think it might be about time to address this issue...

When sailing upwind I normally end up pumping the helm to get the boat to hold a straight course. Looking back at a video of me sailing, I have noticed my leeward rudder is never straight. when the windward rudder is straight the leeward is always steering the boat into the wind, I think this could be because my tiller bar might be too long... Would anyone be able to measure their's and let me know?
Brian Phipps
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Tiller bar length...

Post by Brian Phipps »

Tom, over the years of a boats life the wear and tear of every thing that effect rudder alignment takes place . New boats are fitted with an adjustable connecting bar end so rudder alignment can be set up. These adjustable connecting bar ends are available to retro fit from the Windsport catparts shop. We would suggest 1st check your hull alignment against the beam thrust pads and make any small adjustments by shimming.
2nd line the rudders up down the keel line and check by measuring the distance of the rudder blade centre line just under the A frame , front edge / back edge. within a couple of mill is fine . Hope that helps . Brian Windsport Sprint 15 technical support