Tiller end casting pin removal advice

Dart 15 Chat
David Cramphorn
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Tiller end casting pin removal advice

Post by David Cramphorn »

Advice needed please.
I'm trying to change the tiller end casting pins from the old long ones to the newer shorter ones (after several frustrating trips out using the little bit of hose trick I decided it was time to replace). Anyway, the old stainless steel pins are stuck fast in the aluminium end casting. I've tried penetrating oil, submerging in hot water, submerging in cold water and light tapping but they are stuck fast.
Before I grind flat sides on them to use a spanner, I wondered if anyone has encountered this and has any advice on freeing them?

Thanks in advance
David
Brian Phipps
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Tiller end casting pin removal advice

Post by Brian Phipps »

Windsport would suggest heating the area with a gas blow torch to expand the aluminium and release the lock tight on the screw thread.
Turn the pin using a set of mole grips
Hope that helps
Windsport technical support
David Cramphorn
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by David Cramphorn »

Thanks Brian
I've tried this and still no joy. I have decided to stick with the bits of hose and experiment with their length (is there an ideal length?) , as I can't risk damaging the casing, or grinding flat sides the old pins and them still not budging but now being weakened!
Brian Phipps
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Brian Phipps »

The short pins were introduced to r educe the amount of slack and movement at the joint , in conjunction with plastic connecting bar ends quite a few years ago. One of the additional benefits that came about was less chance of breaking the tiller end casting with less leverage.
The better the fit the more positive the steering.
Regards
Brian