The UK Dart 15 Association

The Prada Cup and the Americas Cup

Dart 15 Chat
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

The Prada Cup and the Americas Cup

Post by Bob Carter »

Sadly INEOS got knocked out of the Prada Cup but the best boat definitely won.
Have you tried watching the Mozzy Sails posts on YouTube on the Americas Cup & Prada Cup? If you have not tried watching them watch this on Luna Rossa's tacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNradCJBZ_U

Mozzy Sails analysis on the America's Cup is really excellent.
There are many of these postings and they are well worth watching. The one (actually in 2 parts) a few days ago on mainsails is also well worth watching. They cover lots of stuff on the sails and how they are controlled. How the teams are taking advantage of the rules. NZ seem to have taken it to the limit by setting the deck very low and the mast ball high. They have then extended the Mainsail below the mast ball by as much as 18 inches so they have got much more sail area. It seems that this is a loop hole in the way that the rules are written. Clearly they planned this months ago when the hull was designed....
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: The Prada Cup and the Americas Cup

Post by Bob Carter »

These are the mainsail talks if you fancy more...

(57) America's Cup Mainsail Systems Revealed: Part 1 - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVaZXPi7Guk

(57) America's Cup Mainsails: Another ETNZ Loophole! + Mysterious Upper Control Zone - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj-LO__ufWE

These sessions are really informative.

Well worth watching......
Keith Bartlett
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Keith Bartlett »

Hi Bob, thanks for your posting. I agree that the Italians had a far better set up. Lets hope that the INEOS piggy bank is willing to support another attempt in X years time.

Showing my ignorance who is the guy who fronts up the Mozzy sails videos? . He certainly seems to know his stuff.

Cheers Keith
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Bob Carter »

Mozzy is Tom Morris of Hayling Island sailing club. He is the current RS800 national champion. His 2 mates are also Hayling Island sailors. They are:
Tom Partington who sails an International 14 with his dad. His dad (Andy) helms but they are multiple champions (Worlds, Nationals, and many other events).
Rob Gullan also sails an RS800 (as well as many other classes) and was 2nd at the Nationals to Mozzy who won.
So all UK Skiff sailors. I'm impressed by their knowledge and by their access to all the video feeds.
What bemuses me is what do they get out of it. There is no obvious adverts. Any ideas folks?
neildunkley
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by neildunkley »

I think the Mozzy boys are looking for a job on the INEOS design team. They deserve a special mention and of course some of Uncle Jim's TLC for the next Cup cycle.