The UK Dart 15 Association

Toe Straps

Dart 15 Chat
John Keyte
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Toe Straps

Post by John Keyte »

I'm wanting to fit new toe straps without taking one hull off. Is it possible to cut or drill a groove to slide the tow staps onto the rear beam ?
Whats the best way to go about it ?
Thanks John
KarlPountney
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Re: Toe Straps

Post by KarlPountney »

There's no two ways about it, you'll need to take your boat apart one way or the other.

If your rear beam doesn't have the slot machined in it for the toestrap slug, the only way to create one and not make a real hash of it is to take the beam off and have a slot professionally milled in it. I tried the hard way which is to drill and cut the slot in situ with the just the tramp removed. It' wasn't a tidy job and I took the boat apart to have it done properly by an engineering firm. My efforts looked like a dogs breakfast.

Taking the boat apart is fine and for the most part is straightforward with practice.

K
Steven Tunnacliffe
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Re: Toe Straps

Post by Steven Tunnacliffe »

I assume you dont take the boat apart very often then, Id take one hull off even if you have to drop the mast too, should only take half and hour :) and is better than potentially stairing at a nasty hole in your rear beam for as long as you sail the boat :(

Plus it would affect your resale value if it dosnt look professional enough :?
Steve

1959 Forever Young