The UK Dart 15 Association

New Forum registration requests not being activated

Dart 15 Chat
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

New Forum registration requests not being activated

Post by admin »

I best re-iterate the stuff I posted in 2008 about the forum registration procedures, the main change would be its now about 300 requests for access per day (I have 1,268 emails sitting in my inbox for forum access).

I can't actually look through each and every one of those so could I ask that if you have recently requested access and have not been approved could you send an email to me via the contact email address given on the website (I am not going to quote it here because the spammers will harvest it from the forum....) and I'll action that.

I will be looking at trying to create a more restrictive method of creating a login request so the robots the spammers use will have a harder time of it. I don't want to make it an open forum either since then they'd have a field day! :evil:

:

Folks,

New forum members may find it takes a few days to activate your account there are a couple of reasons for this:

1) I'm pretty busy at work and at home these days so finding the time to go through everything takes a little doing.

2) We get about 200 forum join requests per day 99.9999% of these are from spammers. About every other week we get a genuine join request but sorting through and removing all the spammers requests takes time.

3) Very occasionally a geniune request maybe deleted by accident. So if you haven't heard after a couple of weeks please send an email to the webmaster and I'll see whats what.

Hope that helps,

Martin Searle
Liam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New Forum registration requests not being activated

Post by Liam »

On the Shanklin site I find blocking IP addresses and anything nasty like Gmail, Yahoo or Hotmail sorts it out. I give a message to people with spammy email addresses to email me. I then block the IP of anybody that tries to subscribe with a stupid name or email address.
2034 - No Quarter, 1957 - Dreadnought, 1709 - Biscuit
Shanklin Sailing Club
Holder of OTT Shield
9th most improved at 2018 Nationals