The UK Dart 15 Association

winter storage

Dart 15 Chat
Keith1434
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

winter storage

Post by Keith1434 »

I use my Dart 15 only for 6 weeks in the summer and it is then stored in secure storage in France. Until now I have stored it on a trailer, covered with a plastic sheet which has often not survived the winter intact. I have therefore always removed the tramp. I have now invested in a purpose-made cover. Can I now leave the tramp, traveller etc on the boat when stored? [the mast is a two piece and stored under the hulls on the trailer].
Kevin Parvin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: winter storage

Post by Kevin Parvin »

Hi, yes as long as the tramp is protected from the sun (your new cover should protect the boat and tramp from UV radiation), then I would keep the tramp on, I guess you could take some of the tension out of it, if the boat is out of use for some time. I would never leave valuable stuff attached to the boat, ie blocks, sheets etc, even if stored under the cover.
I would also take the mast down over the winter months, to stop the boat sailing round the storage compound if exposed to the weather, and to max out the life of the rigging.

I've just replaced my cover with a pinbax weathermax, expensive but good, the old plastic job didn't allow the boat to breathe, to the point where osmosis blisters would pop up (and go away once the boat warmed up)!

Kevin
Brian Phipps
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Brian Phipps »

Windsport recommend what ever boat cover you are using, you remove the hull hatch covers when not on the water to allow the hulls to breath. Remove any water in the hull and manufacture a roof vent to go over the hatch holes, often a piece of plastic gutter or similar, held in place by elastic. Trapped water works into the resin when enclosed and stops at the gelcoat causing the hull blisters.
Boat covers with a strong lifting point on the centre line allows air to circulate , alternatively use a bucket or similar to lift the cover off the trampoline.
Brian Phipps
Sprint 15 technical support.
Keith1434
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Keith1434 »

Thanks for all advice. Very Helpful.