Barts Bash

Dart 15 Chat
Kevin Parvin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Barts Bash

Post by Kevin Parvin »

Hi All

Anyone taking part in Barts Bash on 21 Sept, please register. Got told off by my own club yesterday for not having done so already. On completed the on-line form I was only the 4th Sprint 15 to have registered, we dont make it onto the list of classes taking part.......we can do better than that.

Kevin
Liam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Barts Bash

Post by Liam »

Can we all go in the same format too? Much more kudos for the class if our numbers are greater. 5 boats spread across three classes doesn't look very impressive.
2034 - No Quarter, 1957 - Dreadnought, 1709 - Biscuit
Shanklin Sailing Club
Holder of OTT Shield
9th most improved at 2018 Nationals
George Stephen
Captain
Captain

Post by George Stephen »

Bart's Bash clashes with the Sprint15 Traveller at Carsington (the latter was already arranged when the Bart's Bash date was finalised and announced).

The Carsington Website Racing Calendar shows both a "Slow Cat Event" AND Bart's Bash for that weekend. For Sprinters who regularly attend the Travellers Series, it would be useful if someone from Carsington (George Love?) could tell us if the 2 events are mutually exclusive, or if attenders can do both (and if so whether or not the Bart's Bash race will count as one of the Traveller races, as this might have some relevance to some Sprinters' choice of format - Paul Grattage and Kevin Dutch seem to have taken my Sport Mode "challenge" seriously, and may regard the Traveller Sport Mode Trophy as having just that much more merit than boosting racing class numbers participating in the Bash....)

When we hear the situation at Carsington, we will be in a better position to work out what best fits for each of us.
George 1594
Kevin Parvin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Kevin Parvin »

Could one of the races at the Carsington TT be a 'Barts Bash'. It was the registration numbers that let us down, I don't think it matters much where you compete, its about being on the water and having a go. You could register to sail at Carsington or your local club.

Kevin
George Love
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by George Love »

One of the races on the Sunday at the Carsington TT, probably the first one, will be designated as the Bart's Bash race. Carsington has signed up for The Bash as you can see if you visit the Bart's Bash webpage.
In essence then, if you attend the Carsington TT and sail the Bart's Bash designated race as part of the TT race card you will have taken part in both - one race with both a TT result and a Bart's Bash result. This should all be explained in the NOR, details of which I am awaiting from the club for publication on this website.
So if you attend the Carsington event you will not miss out on the chance to take part in The Bash as well!
Hope that explains it adequately but very happy to answer any questions via this forum.
Cheers,
George Love : Fly-by-Wire : 2019
Robert
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Robert »

The original intention was to run the Bash as part of the TT and Slow Catamaran Event, with several races all part of the world record. However there are some complications in doing this which CSC are looking into. If this is not resolved, I believe the option will be for anyone who wishes to take part in the Bash to join in with a club race to do so. I think this would be at 1:30pm.

The difficulty arises because a Bash Race has to have at least 25 entries, be measured by satellite navigation and have two independent monitors on the water in order to qualify for the World Record. This is a fairly recent stipulation. In addition, the organiser at Carsington is on holiday until 27th August, but can be contacted if necessary.

Sorry to Liam about format - I shall be sailing DX.
Robert England
George Stephen
Captain
Captain

Post by George Stephen »

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS ENTRY HAS BEEN EDITED BY ME, ITS AUTHOR, DUE TO A LATER CONTRIBUTION WHICH GOT ONLINE EARLIER THAN MINE

Thanks, George, for the prompt reply.
Knowing that we can do both the Sprint15 Traveller AND Bart's Bash at Carsington would end an uncertainty that had existed for those who want to support our active Traveller circuit AND want to do The Bash. I await the NoRs etc with interest, as the official documentation is clearly the relevant authorative source of information.

Robert's contribution only serves to add confusion until the NoRs are available.

I guess our numbers registering for The Bash will probably remain low until then - if not just days/hours before-hand.
Last edited by George Stephen on Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George 1594
Liam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Liam »

I thought that acronym had been banned Robert. The prefects will not be happy.

I also thought the Bart's Bash had to be 11am.
2034 - No Quarter, 1957 - Dreadnought, 1709 - Biscuit
Shanklin Sailing Club
Holder of OTT Shield
9th most improved at 2018 Nationals
Robert
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Robert »

George Stephen wrote:PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS ENTRY HAS BEEN EDITED BY ME, ITS AUTHOR, DUE TO A LATER CONTRIBUTION WHICH GOT ONLINE EARLIER THAN MINE

Thanks, George, for the prompt reply.
Knowing that we can do both the Sprint15 Traveller AND Bart's Bash at Carsington would end an uncertainty that had existed for those who want to support our active Traveller circuit AND want to do The Bash. I await the NoRs etc with interest, as the official documentation is clearly the relevant authorative source of information.

Robert's contribution only serves to add confusion until the NoRs are available.

I guess our numbers registering for The Bash will probably remain low until then - if not just days/hours before-hand.
Suit yourself. Only quoting what I have been told by Carsington and the guy responsible. Just thought people might like to know. Thanks for the advice Liam - it just slipped out.
Robert England
Robert
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Robert »

Liam wrote:
I also thought the Bart's Bash had to be 11am.
i guess that, in some time zones, torches might be necessary to sail concurrently with the Sunday 11am Brits.

(Post not edited as I checked the spelling and no-one else beat me to it.)
Robert England
Kevin Parvin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Kevin Parvin »

Thanks George, the Carsington team will sort something out re-Barts and Sprint TT i'm sure.

Interesting that 25 entries required per participating venue to be officially recognised, smaller sailing clubs may struggle, not least Llandudno where we await the completion of our new slip-way. For the last two years launching is by a back breaking lift down the shingle (stones), and an even more knackering carry back up the beach on completion of racing.

Start times for Barts will have to vary at tidal locations.

Kevin
Robert
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Robert »

Robert England
George Love
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by George Love »

Looking at Robert's most recent posting and attached link, you will see that start times can vary. Even if we don't get 25 competitors to our TT, I'm assured by Carsington that they will find a way to make sure that all taking part in our TT event will be entered for The Bash in order that travellers are not put off attending as a result of not being able to be counted in The Bash. So, if you're at the TT, you'll be in The Bash as well.
Hope that clarifies and puts minds at rest?
Cheers
George Love
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by George Love »

Hi All,
Ref. recent discussions/postings above, I emailed the chair of the CSC Sailing Ctte. and the Cat Open event organisers, the text of my message in red below together with the response I received in green. Steve Blake is co-ordinating Bart's Bash for CSC. Hope this confirms answers already given to the questions posed but post more via this forum as you see fit and I'll respond. Might be good idea to check out the BB website as suggested and see if you can register via the CSC event. Still waiting for NOR as noted. I'll post a note here when it's been sent for publication on the 'Events' tab
Cheers,
George

Hi All,
Any news on the NOR so I can arrange posting on the S15 website?
Many of the prospective travellers are asking if they will be taking part in Bart's Bash as part of our TT event. I have told them definitely "Yes!" - so they are not put off attending if their home club is entering The Bash and they think they might miss out by coming to CSC for the TT.
I would welcome confirmation of this and mention of it in the NOR as previously discussed in emails.
Cheers,
George

Thanks George
Steve Blake is away at the moment but you are absolutely right re entrants to the Cat Open being able to take part in BB at CSC so continue to be definitive in your responses to any queries. I presume that those attending the Open should register their intention to participate in BB at Carsington by going to the Carsington page of the BB website (http://www.bartsbash.co.uk/node/8280/entries ) – may be worth encouraging them to do so.
As far as I am aware, current thinking is:
· To go with your suggestion that the first race Sunday AM is designated as the BB race for those attending the Open. Presume this still makes sense from your perspective
· To have the first PM Club series race being designated the BB race for everyone else.
Mick should be able to respond re the NoR.
David
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Bob Carter »

Hi Guys,
It seems to me to be problematic to have the Bart's Bash race part of the traveller circuit for the following reasons:
1) Bart's bash needs to be a handicap event with an entry of at least 25 boats.
2) The handicaps for such an event is to be a novel one (Bart's Number) which has yet to be divulged.
I cannot see that a single class race such as one race of our TT can qualify even if we get 25 entries.
Thus the options would appear to be to include it as part of the series and to separate out the Sprint 15s and then to change the handicap so that it can be included as a race in the Northern Championships or to exclude it from the traveller event.
Surely it is better to exclude it but to leave that time vacant - thus leaving Carsington to set a single handicap race for Bart's Bash which the Sprint 15s take part in but is not part of the TT event.
This could be accommodated by making sure that the TT races are scheduled for Saturday (3 or maybe 4) and for Sunday after (or before) the Bart's Bash race (a single TT race may be). This needs to be accommodated in the NOR ahead of time if that is the chosen path.
It is for Erling & Carsington to decide as I see it. :wink:
Cheers
Bob