The UK Dart 15 Association

Trailer Tyres / Tyres and Wheels

Dart 15 Chat
George Stephen
Captain
Captain

Trailer Tyres / Tyres and Wheels

Post by George Stephen »

Does anyone know either a supplier/fitter of inexpensive Mini tyres for my trailer wheels or a supplier of complete tyres and wheels (which might be cheaper given a check I did years ago!)?
George 1594
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Trailer Tyres / Tyres and Wheels

Post by Bob Carter »

Hi George,
I used to get my trailer wheels from Towsure of Sheffield. Complete wheels and tyres plus carriage were lots less than just tyres bought locally so I never changed tyres alone.
They were not as big as Mini wheels, however. It is worth checking them out on their website.
Cheers
Bob
PS Simon, they are good for hubs, bearings and Indespension units too :wink:
Steve Willis
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Steve Willis »

I used to use Towsure as well but have found Autow warehouse have a more comprehensive range. They do complete 145 wheels and tyres by mail order you just need to know whether your hubs have a grease nipple - which requires a slot in the centre of the wheel rim - when ordering - and the spacing / number of your hub studs - normally 4 but may be 4" or 100mm separation for example.

Steve.
George Stephen
Captain
Captain

Post by George Stephen »

Steve Willis wrote:I used to use Towsure as well but have found Autow warehouse have a more comprehensive range. They do complete 145 wheels and tyres by mail order you just need to know whether your hubs have a grease nipple - which requires a slot in the centre of the wheel rim - when ordering - and the spacing / number of your hub studs - normally 4 but may be 4" or 100mm separation for example.

Steve.
Hi Steve,

I'd found the AUTOW website but (unless you want to pay for radial tyres) all their advertised 10inch wheels come with "500X10" tyres, rather than my present 145 10 tyres. I think that 500X10 tyres are narrower than my 145 10 tyres - have you any thoughts on this?

George
George 1594
Steve Willis
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Steve Willis »

Hi George,

That's the ones. I bought some for my Dart 18 trailer about 5 years ago and all the SSC patrol boat trailers have them now. Yes they are slightly narrower (127mm compared with 145mm I think). They have been fine - I have three so I have a spare the same size.

I think if you consider that a lot of boat trailers run on the smaller 8in wheels (my 15 trailer does) there is not a lot to worry about. I think the price is pretty good but stand to be corrected.

One alternative is to buy 145/10 tyres online and have them fitted locally. I bought new tyres for my Landrover from Camskill website as they were by far the cheapest for the Goodyear 4x4 tyres I wanted and they were delivered by courier 3 days later. Cost me £6 each wheel for the local garage to fit them and still saved £25 a tyre.
Robert
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Robert »

Aren't 500 x 10 tyres crossply? Or is that what you were saying, George?
Robert England
Steve Willis
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Steve Willis »

Yes they are - Autow do both 500x10 and 145x10 in imperial and in metric (hole spacings that is).

http://www.autow.com/trailer-parts/trai ... ls-10-inch
stuartsnell
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by stuartsnell »

Hi George
As I understand it Radial tyres are marked in metric - 145 x 10
Cross ply are Imperial - 5.20 x 10
You are not allowed to mix CP with Rad. on the same Axle
The cheapest outlets I have found have been " indespension" for complete wheels
If you have Mk 1 Mini wheels as my trailer you cannot use the proper flat trailer wheels & will have to replace the tyres .I paid £40 for one recently.
Hope to see you at Grafham
George Stephen
Captain
Captain

Post by George Stephen »

Hi All,

Tyres for cars, light vans and light trucks and the ilk use a standard coding of the ilk 145/80 X10 74N. 145 is tread width in mm, 80 is the tyre wall height as % tread width (and if it is omitted it is 80 or possibly 82). X=R means radial ply construction, X=B means bias belt construction - may be abbreviated to bias ply, X=D means diagonal ply (whatever that is!), and omitted X means cross-ply; bias belt is cross-ply with some additional reinforcing. 10 is the wheel rim diameter in inches, measured at the place where the tyre beads onto the rim. 74 is a load rating (74 means 375kg) and N is the speed rating (another look-up table shows this to be 87mph).

No way do you want to mix tyres of different construction types on the same axle (the law is there for absolutely right reasons), and I'd go so far as not mixing them at all on the same vehicle.

The problem for trailer and off-road tyres is that the manufacturers haven't agreed a similar progression from a number of earlier coding systems, so you often see 500X10 or 5.20-10 (and others!). Whenever I come across tyre ads with these kinds of codes I first groan, and then look for more info first from the website I am looking at but I'll often check with a website that I know carries such info - eg http://www.allterraintyres.co.uk/index. ... =page&id=8. But they are mostly cross-ply..... And I'll ask around if I am still not sure - hence this Chat thread.

My current trailer tyres are 145 10 68M, so they are cross-ply, 315kg load limit, 81mph speed rating. I was concerned that the Autow 500X10 tyres were narrower, and I guessed someone (Steve Willis) would know better than me whether this was an issue.

I will be checking the tyre tread depths on my trailer in the next few days........ I'll ask Autow what the speed rating of their 500X10 4 ply tyre and wheel is.

I haven't sailed since Datchet. I hope to sail at QM this coming weekend. I hope to go to Grafham - I have fond memories of my last race at Grafham..... so it was really nice of Stuart to say he hoped to see me there!
George 1594
Steve Willis
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Steve Willis »

George,

I will have a look at our Autow tyres tomorrow as we are down doing fencing at the club (to get the sheep out) and get all the rating data from them.

Steve
Steve Willis
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Steve Willis »

Right, the tyres on the wheels I got from Autow are 'King Tyres' and are rated 72N (speeds up to 88mph and load 355kg per tyre) it also says 355kg at 3.5bar or 782lbs at 50psi.

Steve
George Stephen
Captain
Captain

Post by George Stephen »

Thanks to all, especially Steve.

For info, the email I got from Autow quotes the same load and speed ratings as Steve, so they haven't changed tyre spec since Steve's purchases.

Having checked my tyres more closely, I have one really good tyre (carried as a spare until a few years ago, one good enough to be a spare, and a third which I must replace. Rather than cough up for 3 500X10 wheels and tyres from Autow, I think I'll just get one 145 10 cross-ply tyre and wheel (or maybe a couple of tyre levers and just a tyre!)
George 1594
Robert
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Robert »

Isn't 7 years the maximum age a tyre should be (from the date code on the sidewall?).
Robert England
Paul Craft
Warrant Officer (Class Two)
Warrant Officer (Class Two)

Post by Paul Craft »

Hi

The wheel bearing part numbers for the Indespension type hubs otherwise known as the 1inch stub axles, and a hub with a PCD of 101mm or 4 inch also known as min wheels / hubs are, Inner Bearing with seal part number 44643L
Outer Bearing part number 44643
The race is the same for both 44610

My understanding of tyres is there are three main different types which can’t be mixed on the same axle.

1) Crossply, 5.00-10, 6 ply Max load 425 kg, 8 Ply Max Load 500 kg

2) Bias Ply, 145/80-10 (145x10-4ply) tyre, Max load 375 kg. a Bias ply tyre will not mix with radial or cross ply tyres- not to be confused with 145/80 R10 Radial

3) Radial 145/80 R10, 4 ply, radial tyre. This tyre will not mix with bias ply or cross ply tyres- not to be confused with 145x10 or 145B-10 tyres, R = Radial,

Paul
Steve Willis
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Steve Willis »

With regard to the bearings we gave up changing them on the club patrol boat trailers - we found it far cheaper to buy a complete hub with bearings and new wheel nuts.