Sprint 15 Speed data

Dart 15 Chat
Sprinter
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Sprint 15 Speed data

Post by Sprinter »

Dear All,

I'm doing some research on the speed and performance of the S15 and I wondered whether in this technological age, anyone had GPS speed over ground data, preferably with known true wind and rough current data for the S15 in Unirig or Sprint modes?

Alternatively, can the average and max speed be calculated from the handicap number some how?

Best regards

Anthony
Crazysurf
Warrant Officer (Class Two)

Re: Sprint 15 Speed data

Post by Crazysurf »

Hi Anthony, No idea about wind strengths or currents but the most I managed last year whilst measuring my speed on Strava with my phone was 19.9 mph. I am sure Liam has a higher recorded value. You have to be careful to remove the start of a session as it can seem to be spiked and show artificially high values (I was very pleased one day to have beaten 20mph only to find out it was one of these occasions). I think that I have 5 days where I recorded over 18 mph. Paul Grattage can probably do about 40mph!!!

I hope that helps, Sean
Martin Searle
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Martin Searle »

I have used a Garmin Foretrex GPS for a number of years. The top speed I get is around 18mph in Una Rig, F5, Flat sea and normally on the reach, current is variable but then I am a mite heavy ;). Waves on very strong wind days normally prevent too high a speed being attained before sailor talent runs out :lol:. I think in the very strong wind gusts (F6+) on a broad reach during a mostly uncontrolled sleigh ride the top speed edges close to 22mph but I don't look at the device then ;)

My feeling is the top sailors tend to travel 1-2mph faster per leg of the course combined with a very smooth sailing style to keep speed more constant and that the hull speed of the boat is approx. 21mph.

Martin S.
Ex Sprint 15 Webmaster
Ex Seasalter SC Webmaster
RYA Regional Race Officer (South East Region) (Expired)
RYA Club Race Coach (Expired)
RYA Dinghy Sailing Instructor (Expired)
Liam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Liam »

I did 21 knots past Bembridge a few years ago with main and jib and favourable tide. Measured with a Garmin Foretrex 201.

However the highest I have notched up with no tide is 17 knots. That was unarig at Stewartby in about 110 knot wind in the first race in November, not the second one which I did upside down.

I use a Garmin Quatix which I think measures over a longer distance than Foretrex. It seems harder to get the high peak speeds than the Foretrex.
Last edited by Liam on Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2034 - No Quarter, 1957 - Dreadnought, 1709 - Biscuit
Shanklin Sailing Club
Holder of OTT Shield
9th most improved at 2018 Nationals
Sprinter
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Sprinter »

Thank you Gents, I appreciate you assistance.
I wasn't expecting such a prompt response! :shock:
Next question, does anyone know roughly what true wind strength would be required to get the boat going 5 knots (5.75 mph)?
Cheers
Anthony
Simon Giles
Petty Officer
Petty Officer

Post by Simon Giles »

Hi Anthony

I went out yesterday in Shanklin the weather station about 50m off the beach said the wind strength was 10-15mph with the highest gust recorded at 20mph. I reached out about half a mile where there was a little more wind (but not much more) and clocked 19.7mph.

Simon
Liam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Liam »

I'll lend you my watch so you can find out what the actual speed is.
Shanklin Sailing Club
Holder of OTT Shield
Simon Giles
Petty Officer
Petty Officer

Post by Simon Giles »

Clocked 20.1mph yesterday.

https://youtu.be/FWaWydR1aYc
Crazysurf

Post by Crazysurf »

21.7mph for me and Sophia today. We did have a reading of 24.4mph but close inspection shows the gps teleport! Multiple over 20s though.
Liam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Liam »

Get a proper GPS and we will believe you.

And you need to subtract a knot for tide.

The boat, three places ahead of you topped out at 16.1 knots. (18.5mph). :D
Shanklin Sailing Club
Holder of OTT Shield
Gordon Deuce
Leading Rate
Leading Rate

Post by Gordon Deuce »

Record a few peaks of 16.1 knts ( 18.5 mph) on the Garmin on Sunday with Una rigged at Brightlingsea against a slack tide slack tide on a good reach with gusts over 20 knts does this get me on the score board ? My wife said she bought me the garmin to fun, she now says it wasn't supposed to promote reckless behaviour. as if .... :D :D