The UK Dart 15 Association

problems in assembling my mast

Dart 15 Chat
Keith1434
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

problems in assembling my mast

Post by Keith1434 »

I am having difficulties putting my mast together. I keep the cat in France and only assemble it in July for 7 weeks leisure sailing, It is then put back on the trailer and stored locally. This year it took 3 of us and plenty of lubricant to fit the two parts together. The plastic joining piece seems to have expanded slightly with a small about 1mm split on one edge making it a very tight fit. Can I shave off a small amount to make assembly easier? And if so what should I use?
Keith Thomas 1434
Brian Phipps
Commodore
Commodore

Re: problems in assembling my mast

Post by Brian Phipps »

Hi Keith, not sure why the mast sleeve its self would suddenly expand, but as it has you are properly safe to sand it down to the glass , ie remove the gelcoat surface . It is possible if water gets into the resin it can expand the laminate.
If you need to go further we would suggest you do a few bend tests on the mast when assembled but before going sailing rather than risk a broken sleeve joint when sailing .
Brian
Windsport Sprint 15 technical support
Keith1434
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Re: problems in assembling my mast

Post by Keith1434 »

Brian, thanks. I can see on the joint piece where it is rubbing on the mast in a few spots so will start by just easing those spots.