104 KG - FACT OR FICTION?

Dart 15 Chat
Gordon
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Re: 104 KG - FACT OR FICTION?

Post by Gordon »

Liam

Further to your reply, this is a copy of part of a message from Brian at Windsport that I know you have already seen, but others may not:

1) The difference between the old and new main beam is 0.5kg give or take tolerances.
2) The old style lunch box laminating lay-up weight is 1.5kg give or take laminating skills/ conditions.
3) The additional strengthening of the SP15 hull include:-
a) Strengthening of the under deck area using laminate and resin.
b) Keel line and either side of the hull stiffening work between the main bulk head and the stern by laminate and resin to reduce a previously inherent vulnerability in the hull.
c) The polystyrene spacer which was originally placed low down and shorter has been increased in size moved up and forward under the storage hatch opening and its associated locating shelf extended. Originally this was a block glued under the rear beam.
d) The size of the front beam housing and housing cap has been increased to provide for the larger diameter beam.
e) It is the opinion of the currently appointed hull supplier these additions add approx. 1.5kg of laminate and resin to the hull depending on the skill of the laminator and other factors at the time.

The result of these mods following the removal of the box and change of beam is a more robust hull.

Note. The current detailed care and attention in making new hulls for both the Dart 18 and the Sprint 15 are the most professional ever. This style of hand layup manufacture will and has always been subject to variation due to human input and other factors. That said the current licensed hull supplier and Windsport make every effort to ensure ALL new boats are within the bounds of manufacture specification and will technically provide the same opportunity for performance.

Regards
Gordon
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Bob Carter »

Gordon wrote:Liam

Further to your reply, this is a copy of part of a message from Brian at Windsport that I know you have already seen, but others may not:

1) The difference between the old and new main beam is 0.5kg give or take tolerances.
2) The old style lunch box laminating lay-up weight is 1.5kg give or take laminating skills/ conditions.
3) The additional strengthening of the SP15 hull include:-
a) Strengthening of the under deck area using laminate and resin.
b) Keel line and either side of the hull stiffening work between the main bulk head and the stern by laminate and resin to reduce a previously inherent vulnerability in the hull.
c) The polystyrene spacer which was originally placed low down and shorter has been increased in size moved up and forward under the storage hatch opening and its associated locating shelf extended. Originally this was a block glued under the rear beam.
d) The size of the front beam housing and housing cap has been increased to provide for the larger diameter beam.
e) It is the opinion of the currently appointed hull supplier these additions add approx. 1.5kg of laminate and resin to the hull depending on the skill of the laminator and other factors at the time.

The result of these mods following the removal of the box and change of beam is a more robust hull.

Note. The current detailed care and attention in making new hulls for both the Dart 18 and the Sprint 15 are the most professional ever. This style of hand layup manufacture will and has always been subject to variation due to human input and other factors. That said the current licensed hull supplier and Windsport make every effort to ensure ALL new boats are within the bounds of manufacture specification and will technically provide the same opportunity for performance.

Regards
Gordon
Hi Gordon,
If all that is written in the above was true it would show up in the data we posted. We have confined our analysis to actual data. We will update the charts to include Kevin's boat which is the lightest old boat we have found.
Regards
Bob
Kevin Parvin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Kevin Parvin »

.........weighed using my digital bathroom scales on the garage floor. I did the best I could given the equipment available. Perhaps I can find a more accurate method but whatever the weight the guy holding the stick (me) will always be toward the back of the fleet, but enjoying my day.

Kevin