The UK Dart 15 Association

Windy Nationals

Dart 15 Chat
WaveyDavey
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Windy Nationals

Post by WaveyDavey »

Looking at the forecast it seems at least some of the nationals races could be a bit breezy, or at least gusty.

Seems a good time to remind folks about the excellent 'tips' area of this website, and especially https://www.sprint15.com/faq/strong.php

I'll see if I can print off a few copies to bring with me too. As we know, the 15 is one of the most manageable and fun cats to sail in strong wind provided you know a few key aspects of boat setup and boat handling. I like to think that articles like that linked above, and advice from more experienced 15ers will give the less-experienced the confidence to compete even if its a bit windier _and_ enjoy it (what's the point if it's not fun?).

That said, I wouldn't want to detract from the equally important principle that every sailor is allowed to make their own decision on whether to sail based on the conditions, their boat and their experience. Don't let someone talk you into going out if you're pretty sure you won't manage or have fun.
David Ball
Sprint 15 1923 "Two's Complement"
Marconi SC
Jenny Ball
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Windy Nationals

Post by Jenny Ball »

And don't forget the SIs allow us to spread the 9 races across the three days to suit the conditions and maximise our chances of getting all the races in.

We will be monitoring the conditions and the forecast carefully and plan the racing accordingly.

Whilst I don't wish to deny the Force 7 brigade their opportunity to break their boats and themselves, we will try to make the racing as inclusive as we can.

See you there!!

Jenny
WaveyDavey
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by WaveyDavey »

Whilst I don't wish to deny the Force 7 brigade their opportunity to break their boats and themselves, we will try to make the racing as inclusive as we can
Agree. F7 is not racing its surviving (or breaking people/stuff). A skill in itself (surviving, not breaking) but not something to intentionally include in a nationals series. Or any other class event. Except maybe the inlands at Grafham because it so often blows that weekend :D

F4-5 seems to make up most of the forecast this weekend (if I squint and ignore the red/pink bits). That's racing and the tips linked above will be helpful to anyone who's not done much 15 sailing in stronger winds but feels ready to give it a go. I enjoy racing in a stiff breeze, but some of our fleet positively excel in it. After a few light years this is their chance to shine.

Hopefully the solid F6,7,8 will be overnight Friday/Saturday and leave us alone when it matters.
David Ball
Marconi SC
WaveyDavey
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by WaveyDavey »

the tips linked above will be helpful to anyone who's not done much 15 sailing in stronger winds but feels ready to give it a go
I should have added, a Nationals is the ideal opportunity to do this. Quality race management, good support boat cover, lots of advice on hand and the chance to see first hand how the experts do it.
David Ball
Marconi SC
Liam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Liam »

I hope you are all having fun in the breeze.

Yvonne and I have put some scores up.

https://www.sprint15.com/events/EMS/nat ... php?id=179
2034 - No Quarter, 1957 - Dreadnought, 1709 - Biscuit
Shanklin Sailing Club
Holder of OTT Shield
9th most improved at 2018 Nationals
Kevin Dutch
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Kevin Dutch »

I see that lots of results are wrong. I'll chat with Jenny when i get to the club.
1938 Flying Dutchman
@sprint151938
Liam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Liam »

Well done to David. That is an amazingly consistent set of results for a windy event.

https://www.sprint15.com/events/EMS/event.php?id=179

Hope I have most of the results right.
Shanklin Sailing Club
Holder of OTT Shield
Liam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Liam »

Results are purely provisional. I will try to correct lots of errors when I get the final results.
Shanklin Sailing Club
Holder of OTT Shield
Jenny Ball
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Jenny Ball »

Liam was having to work from photos of printed results up on the noticeboard. But, as those who were there will know, those printed copies were updated after day 2 with one or two corrections and a couple of redress hearings.

I have submitted the latest version which incorporates those updates plus results for day 3.

I have sanity checked as best I can based on what I saw on the water or heard about in the bar afterwards. But it was not a straightforward regatta and, in particular, DNCs as opposed to RETs in the very windy races may not be 100% correct.

If you spot an error - please let me know via email (jenny@sprint15.com) and I will seek clarification with Harwich Town but would ask that we minimise that to queries which would be material to your points/scoring.

Jenny
Crazysurf
Warrant Officer (Class Two)
Warrant Officer (Class Two)

Post by Crazysurf »

Liam wrote:Well done to David. That is an amazingly consistent set of results for a windy event.

https://www.sprint15.com/events/EMS/event.php?id=179

Hope I have most of the results right.
Touché
Just seen the results whilst thinking, "what if ..." "what if"... but then you look at it, David beat us in 7 out of 9 races - we were a long way off. I only remember one time he made an error when we were both circling round the back of the line after the start through being too early (Kevin was spotted too). We have aspirations for next year though :-)

I must say a big heads up to Kevin - Sophia and I got ahead of him once (briefly) in the first race and it was then annihilation for the rest of that race and the next 3 on a level we have not really seen before! In the last race, he hit a mark with the smallest of margins without seeing it and failed to hear us hailing but, when we told him after the race, there was no hesitation in retiring. A true sportsman.

Anyway, the Sports Nationals is at our home venue and Sophia and I invite you to join us. Last time was the most epic event. Sophia will be trapezing this time so watch out (5st on the wire will make a massive difference). Kevin is watching the forecast and could be there if it looks like being windy although he will be needing permission as it is the week before he goes for another Tornado National Championship win.

@David - can you do the double?

Look forward to seeing you all soon.

Sean and Sophia
WaveyDavey
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by WaveyDavey »

I'm still a little shocked and lost for words. Clearly a special weekend for me that I'll remember for a long time. I'm conscious it must also have been frustrating at times for those unable to compete while the wind was at its more extreme, and those who suffered wounds to body, boat and/or pride.

Whatever else, Harwich Town were wonderful hosts and the club is an excellent venue. I hope and I'm sure that the class will be back there again soon. Jen and Chris did us proud with a faultless Nationals event on and off the water. The Sprint 15 class proved again to be a wonderful group of people and a pleasure to spend time with.

@Sean, you and Sophia were superb competitors as always. I think it was much closer than the race or points tally suggests - any of those 7 races could have switched on the smallest mistake or misfortune. Good judgement and a very healthy dose of good fortune seemed to be on my side - this time.

Sadly I can't make the Sport nationals as I'll be spending some family time and packing up our Tornado as we (Jen & I) will also be competing in that other nationals the following weekend. I will be at the 15 Inlands at Grafham in October, the opening 2020 'Summer' TT at Stone SC in April and next year's Sprint 15 nationals (Whitstable again). I always aspire (but generally fail) to attend a few other TTs too... maybe next year I'll succeed.
David Ball
Marconi SC
Keith
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Keith »

"Against the tide the off-shore breezes blow.
Oh wind and water, this is Felixstowe."

John Betjeman

I was reminded of these lines this weekend!

A big thanks to Jenny and Chris in organising a great nationals. The choice of Harwich Town sailing Club was a good one and the many club volunteers made us very welcome. I am especially grateful to the rescue boat crews who were out all weekend in lumpy seas and on occasion torrential rain. The boat that rescued me showed great boat handling to recover me and then my boat - many thanks. The Sprint 15 fleet were great also, some sailor's stopped racing or running for home to stand to for fellow sailors who were struggling to right boats. Many sailors who had had 2 hard races on Friday hung about in the water for quite a while recovering boats and the tail enders and only heading to the club once the last boat was safely home.

Thanks again to Jenny and Chris for what was a truly memorable nationals :D

Keith
George Love
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by George Love »

May I echo the 'Thank You' comments from others - what a memorable event. The Events Team and HTSC did us proud. So much to remember and reflect upon.
And a huge shout out to our 2019 champion, David Ball. What a truly stunning set of results in such testing conditions - 'well deserved' would be an understatement. David - you nailed it in style :!: - Congratulations :D
George Love : Fly-by-Wire : 2019