The UK Dart 15 Association

downwind in heavy weather

Dart 15 Chat
Tom Gurney
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

downwind in heavy weather

Post by Tom Gurney »

Having been thrown out the back of my boat while racing in plymouth this weekend, I was wondering what people did to stop this. I had my feet under the straps but when the bow dipped I slid forward and was dragged out by the water coming back over the tramp. Any tips on stopping the boat sailing of to the leeward mark are also appreciated.
Andy B
Warrant Officer (Class Two)
Warrant Officer (Class Two)

Re: downwind in heavy weather

Post by Andy B »

When it is blowing hard I usually hook my back foot over the rear beam.
Dart 15, 1899 , Stewartby SC
Liam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Liam »

Don't let go of the sheet. Apparently the tiller bends if you are dangling from it.
2034 - No Quarter, 1957 - Dreadnought, 1709 - Biscuit
Shanklin Sailing Club
Holder of OTT Shield
9th most improved at 2018 Nationals
Keith
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Keith »

If you put your back foot under the toe strap, near the rear beam and your front foot over the toes strap pushing down you can brace yourself in to stop yourself going forwards. Failing that, I find that prayer is comforting in such situations.

Keith
WaveyDavey
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by WaveyDavey »

Without wishing to be too crude, I hike slightly and put a bottom cheek/thigh each side of the raised deck over the rear beam. This reduces risk of sliding forward when boat stops. Also gets weight right back to keep bows up. I put both feet under the toe straps, making sure straps are slid far enough away down the rear beam that with knees slightly raised and toes curled up I am firmly pulled against the side of the boat.

Only thing to watch for is not lifting back leg too high as it is likely to be under the tiller in this position and could release the rudder lock.

I tried sticking back leg under the beam but didn't work for me. Felt less secure than approach above and waves kept knocking leg out again, sometimes quite hard. That said I know it does work for other people.
David Ball
Sprint 15 1923 "Two's Complement"
Marconi SC
Kevin Dutch
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Kevin Dutch »

I use pretty much the same technique as David, I find that it works well for me too. You can help to keep a level boat by watching the wave patterns as and when you can by hiking out or hiking backwards if the bow begins to dip too far.
1938 Flying Dutchman
@sprint151938