Bob's Nuts! [Keith in Hong Kong/Singapore]

Dart 15 Chat
Archive
Archive

Bob's Nuts! [Keith in Hong Kong/Singapore]

Post by Archive »

Keith in Hong Kong/Singapore wrote:

Bob

Like the picture of the new boat....envy abounds....however a point regarding intellectual copyright.....

On the assumption that the subtle name down the side is not a piece of trickery courtesy of a photo editing graphics package I have to inform you that my own boat (1083) is similarly named, all though based around the Australian version of the aforementioned adjective!

1083 - 'The Mutts Nutts' has been so named for over a year now, in 8" high letters down the side.....however on the basis that I don't have Bill Gate's budget for pursuing infringement claims.....I'll just take a pint from you when we meet sometime.....I won't forget...

Will mail a picture of the craft, name and all, as proof positive.

By the way apparently Keith Bartlett has arrived in HK, and his boat is on the way....your loss in the fleet is our gain...it's just a shame that I can't get back to HK to go sailing at the moment!

Cheers

Wish I could go to AlPal and drool over shiny GRP...

Keith
Archive
Archive

Bob's not nuts [Bob]

Post by Archive »

Bob replied:

Hi Keith,
Like minds eh. The only thing is that there is nothing subtle about our boat names. Thus we now have the Australian and the English version of the same name. Perhaps the Linguists in our members can do some translation. What would it be in French and German? Any other interesting versions? We could start a trend.
Cheers
Bob
Archive
Archive

More Nuts.... [Keith in Hong Kong/Singapore]

Post by Archive »

Keith in Hong Kong/Singapore replied:

Le boules de chien.......I reckon....simple but efective....anybody out there nearer school age who can remember the tenses etc...?

German....somthing with lots of hacking noises.....

Keith
Archive
Archive

Boat names [Tony]

Post by Archive »

Tony replied:

Nice boat, shame about the name !!!
Archive
Archive

Boat names [Fred]

Post by Archive »

Fred replied:

Tony who?
Fred
Archive
Archive

The DBs [Bob]

Post by Archive »

Bob replied:

Hi Tony,
It got lots of grins and comments at the Alexandra Palace Dinghy Show. It's all a matter of taste (or lack of it)
Cheers
Bob
Archive
Archive

Boat names [Tony Drake]

Post by Archive »

Tony Drake replied:

It didn't get a grin from me when my 8 year old son looked at the picture & asked the obvious question. I'm glad my 5 year old daughter can't read such words. Maybe if this is the way we are going I won't be joining in the so called "family fun" this year.
Archive
Archive

Boat names [Bob]

Post by Archive »

Bob replied:

Tony - I understand the problem. Surely you just tell them that it is a (rude) grown up way of saying top knotch or number one.
Regards
Bob
Archive
Archive

Boat names [Tony]

Post by Archive »

Tony replied:

Bob,
Sorry, I don't agree with you. I think you must be out of touch with ways of young children & how they behave. Secondly, is this the way forward in advertising the Association ? I don't think seeing your boat on the beach will get many laughs / grins from other parents or responsible adults. I think the name should be altered to be less offensive. I have no problem with the name of Keiths boat, same meaning.
Maybe the Association Chairman & other members of the committee or Association would like to put their views.
Tony.
Archive
Archive

Boat names [Bob]

Post by Archive »

Bob replied:

Hi Tony,
Let's see what other people have got to say. If lot's of people think as you do then I'm prepared to change the name in some way to tone it down. Currently you are the only complaint I've had.
Cheers
Bob
PS Come on people - what do you think?
Archive
Archive

A pair of nuts [Steve/Ron Sawford]

Post by Archive »

Steve/Ron Sawford replied:

"La chien de testicule"
From the nutters from the Rutland glacier region.
Archive
Archive

Raw Nerves [Keith in Singapore]

Post by Archive »

Keith in Singapore replied:

I shall watch this debate with interest.......no further views offered on the grounds of self incrimination...

And in the blue corner....Pistols at dawn etc.....

Cheers Chaps

Keith
Archive
Archive

Boat Name/Hello [Dr Dart]

Post by Archive »

Dr Dart replied:

Hi people

I'm new to the class, I bought my first dart (1814) from Jonathon Perkins back in January and I'm looking forward to my first sail this Saturday at Marconi SC.

As for the name, I think it's great, I only wish I'd thought of it myself, I can see Tony's viewpoint but I think alot of people will see the funny side despite the moral issues involved and I think Bob's explaination is fairly resonable,that's just what I would say to my 8 year old brother if he asked !!!

Yours in Darting

Dr Dart aka Joe Bird

Ps I'm only 16 so may b a bit bias but still...
Archive
Archive

Boat Name/Hello [Bob]

Post by Archive »

Bob replied:

Hi Joe. well done for buying a Dart 15 - I'm sure that you will enjoy sailing it (and beating some of us more experience sailors if you stick with it).
Thanks for you comments on my boat name. I also think it is a pretty neat name, but am sensitive to the complaints of parents. The likely compromise I shall follow is to take out a few of the letters of the 'B' word and replace them by asterisks so it is harder to read for the juniors but still reasonably obvious to the initiated.
I hope to meet you sailing during the year
Cheers
Bob