The UK Dart 15 Association

Mail Sail Window [Matt Smith]

Dart 15 Chat
Archive
Archive

Mail Sail Window [Matt Smith]

Post by Archive »

Matt Smith wrote:

On the last evening race of the season, I capsised yet again, and tore a hole in the bottom main sail pannel.

Rather than have the whole bottom pannel repaired, I had a window inserted were my legs had gone through, partly for the cost saving and partly for safety.

Yesterday was my first race of the season, and I recieved a fair amount of ribbing for the transparent hole in my sail.I replied as nicely as I could,"I like to see who I'm scuttling!"

Now the race is over I can state with some confidence that, "any collision will be difficult as for the first time since sailing a Dart I can see what is heading towards me."

I would be very intersted in what everyone else thought of such an alteration been accepted as an amendment at the next AGM.
Archive
Archive

Sail Window [Bob]

Post by Archive »

Bob replied:

Hi Matt,
Yes a sail window is a good idea. It was proposed at an AGM a few years ago - I cannot remember if it got passed or not (perhaps Nick Dewhirst, the chairman, can remind us). In any case the Laser Centre representative was not keen to add it to the specification of new boats so nothing happened. This is likey to be situation today with new boats.
If Nick tells us it was not approved then:
1) if you want to write a proposal for the next AGM you need to submit it to Nick (his contact details are on this web site) by 25 July.
2) Don't worry. We are a friendly class. No one will protest you for such a modification as it has no speed advantage.
Cheers
Bob Carter