The UK Dart 15 Association

Sting [Keith Dunning]

Dart 15 Chat
Archive
Archive

Sting [Keith Dunning]

Post by Archive »

Keith Dunning wrote:

As a prospective Dart 15 owner can anyone tell me what 'Sting' is (PY 860?)
Archive
Archive

Sting [Mark Aldridge]

Post by Archive »

Mark Aldridge replied:

Hi Keith.

I think that the Sting is essentially a dart 15 in the water with a Dart18 mast and sail.

They're not very popular and I am sure will test you in the higher winds that the regular 15 excells.

No doubt Bob will be able to give you more info.

If you'd like a test ride on May 12 AM, please let me know.

Bye for now.

Mark
Archive
Archive

Sting [Keith Ball]

Post by Archive »

Keith Ball replied:

Hi Keith,

Further to Mark's comments, you may find the following description from Bob useful. Its from the older chat pages (9/8/00).

Or try this link if it works:

http://www.dart15.com/forum/post.php3?topic_id=147

Regards,

Keith
Archive
Archive

Sting - repeat of the earlier message [Bob]

Post by Archive »

Bob replied:

Well remembered Keith. Here it is again.

A Sting is a catamaran that was built from a Dart 15 but it has the following differences.
The mast is about 0.6 metres taller and is much heavier section (based on Dart 18 section). The Mainsail is a radial cut and a full panel bigger (I would guess 1sq metre bigger) than the Dart 15. It is quite good to sail with a trapeze - especially for the heavyweights (13 stone). It never really took off in big numbers. They might have sold about 50 in total and most went on the continent. A big issue is that they are very hard to right from a capsize single handed due to the heavy mast and rig. I know sailors that sold them for this reason - as sailing them single handed without rescue can be dangerous. There are so few around that you would just end up racing in handicap racing and not knowing how well you are sailing. You are much better getting a Dart 15 and sailing in one class racing. The resale value of a Dart 15 is also much better.