The UK Dart 15 Association

Dart 15 no. 352 [Stuart]

Dart 15 Chat
Archive
Archive

Dart 15 no. 352 [Stuart]

Post by Archive »

Stuart wrote:

Does anyone know what sort of condition Dart 15 no. 352 is? I saw it advertised in Yachts and Yachting. It's priced at ?750 and based in Hexham. The problem is I don't want to travel all the way there from Hertfordshire to find out its a clapped out boat that will no longer sail. Does anyone have any ideas about how to get around this little problem? Or is anyone selling a working boat in this price area?
Archive
Archive

Dart 15 no. 352 [Bob]

Post by Archive »

Bob replied:

Hi Stuart,
Ive always found a quick telephone call with the owner fairly informative. You can usually tell with a few searching questions, such as:
Any damage?
How much has it been used lately?
Have the sails been replaced recently? If so what colour are they (you can guess the vintage of them from this - see our buyers guide)
What is the condition of the sails? Any tears infront of the Batten pockets?
Do the rudders lock up & down OK?
Does it have a jib? (old Sparks came without and it had to be added with a kit)
What colour are the hulls (red fades much worse than blue)
Has it been kept under a cover (if not the trampoline can be damaged by UV light)
If it still sound OK think positive and go for it. It could be a nice ride to Hexham!

I once went from Stevenage to Inverness to buy a Dart 15 after a telephone conversation with the owner.
Regards

Bob Carter
Archive
Archive

You live in Stevenage? [Stuart]

Post by Archive »

Stuart replied:

Stevenage isn't far from me.
Anyway, I was thinking about asking the seller to deliver, or fail that I'll hire a courier. Or maybe I'll just find a nearer boat to buy, but I cant find many for as little as ?750 anywhere else. I don't even want one to race, just for fun!
Archive
Archive

It's cheap [Bob]

Post by Archive »

Bob replied:

Stuart, It's cheap. If you do not get a move on it will be gone.
Cheers
Bob
Archive
Archive

But.... [Stuart]

Post by Archive »

Stuart replied:

I want to buy it now but to earn the money I have to work as an instructor through the summer first, so I probably wont make an offer till after the summer.
Stuart
Archive
Archive

Readers Write [Bob]

Post by Archive »

Bob replied:

Hi Stuart, I've seen you letter in Y&Y, Readers Write section. Well Done - you have got us a good big picture printed of some of the action from our 1997 Nationals rerun at Grafham, where we had 62 entries. The Dart 15 is by far the biggest single handed cat class in the UK and we are very active at both club and circuit levels. This is very apparent from this web site as well as our magazine and press coverage. Do not take my word for it - if you live neareby why don't you come up Grafham one Sunday and meet us?
I hope to meet you at some stage.
Regards
Bob Carter
Archive
Archive

Really? [Stuart]

Post by Archive »

Stuart replied:

To be honest I never realised it had been published!!!
Which issue is that? I'll have to buy a copy.
I'll be coming to Grafham to sail in the Beds and Cambs Regatta on the 23rd June or I might come up just to say 'Hallo' some time.
Stuart
Archive
Archive

Readers Write [Bob]

Post by Archive »

Bob replied:

Yes -it's in the 26 May edition.
I'll be at Grafham on 24 June (but probably not 23 June (as it is a Saturday). Why not come up one Sunday and get a ride on a Dart 15?
Cheers
Bob