The UK Dart 15 Association

trapezing [Ian Wells]

Dart 15 Chat
Archive
Archive

trapezing [Ian Wells]

Post by Archive »

Ian Wells wrote:

I'm now sorted on the inverting of hulls problem, (yes it's that new guy again,) but wonder whether someone could help me with my next issue.

I tried sprinting last weekend for the first time - had a fantastic sail, often balancing between complete, calm and stylish control to blind panic, ropes everywhere, legs and arms in all the wrong places, etc! (I do hope as a novice I'm not alone on this!)

One area I could do with guidance on is when it blows and keeping far enough aft. Has anyone tried fitting some sort of restraining line that you could also hook onto to counteract the forward pressure of the trapeze wire? The foot loops obviously help but I thought something attached to where the trapeze hook is and therefore where the forward pull actually emanates, could assist further and put less strain on the front leg?

Guidance as to where it's fitted, (or why it shouldn't be,) would be gratefully received.

Cheers
Ian
Archive
Archive

Trapezing [Mark Aldridge]

Post by Archive »

Mark Aldridge replied:

Ian

I think you'll find a restraining line is not within class rules. This means that if you do fit one for pleasure sailing then fine, but not in races at it might give you an unfair advantage.

I've done away with the toe loops because they are literally a pain in the arse when not sprinting and dictate where you put your feet when you are sprinting.

The forward pull of the trapeze elastic doesn't bother me as I find that using your knees as shock absorbers works well.

I have had fitted a length of grippy tape on the top side of the transom for grip. This means I can put my feet anywhere and I have grip, I have kept the rear loops however as they can be useful for man handling the boat.

Steve Sawford did the mods to my boat if you fance it, it really is an improvement. Find him on the suppliers(?)list off the Dart 15 web site.

Hope this helps.

Mark
Dart 15 #1930 - 'Nothing Ever Happens'
Archive
Archive

Restraining Line [Bob]

Post by Archive »

Bob replied:

Yes - Mark is right - restraining lines are not in the Dart 15 Class rules. I do know somebody who fitted them but they pulled out as the transoms are not as strong as a Dart 18, which does have restraining lines.
Most people manage OK with the rear two toe loops. A few have put the grippy tape on the side of the hulls, but strictly speaking it is not in the class rules either (although thus far no one has been protested for fitting it).
Cheers
Bob
Archive
Archive

Restraining Line [Anonymous]

Post by Archive »

Anonymous replied:

Me and my big mouth!

Perhaps we should discuss the 'grippy tape' as a safety modification at the AGM this year, cos I would surely have twisted my ankle in one of those loops!!!!!

I've never been in enough contention for protesting, don't you need a red flag for that or something similar?

Hope the back is better now Bob?

Cheers

Mark
Archive
Archive

Oops...... [Keith in Singapore]

Post by Archive »

Keith in Singapore replied:

Oh Dear...

Hmmmm.....

I am a naughty (and unsuspecting) yotter......here's me, gleefully gaining advantage over my fellow 18 sailors, blissfully unaware that the restraining lines and grippy topside stuff are thoroughly illegal and make me liable to a good birching.....

My lines WERE rigid lengths (no bungee) from a small eye on the transom (with backing pads), to the main chainplates, and a snap hook strategically tied in mid length.

I just took the trapeze bungee back from it's normal deck eye and fed it in to the hook. It helped in that it over stretched the bungee and pulled aft better.

On a serious note, as sailing in HK is often in open water with no one (literally) about, so a good blast over to Hei Ling Chau in the north-east monsoons left you slightly exposed if you managed to bury in a wave and make like a crossbow bolt around the forestay.......so it was for safety your honour...

Having said all that they were never used for racing (honest) as the short courses and having to tack off starboard bound 18's meant quick movements required, and the trapeze wires just fouled everything up when clipped aft.

As for the grippy stuff......same applies......safety dictates....

Nuff Sed.....Zzzzz

Keith
Archive
Archive

Grippy Tape (safety issue) [Steve Sawford]

Post by Archive »

Steve Sawford replied:

I think Grippy tape is more a safety issue rather than a race advantage. Many a time i have smacked into the side of the hull and bear back ski for a mile or two, only to tip over and be thrown on to a cold ali mast......owch.
Also if you ever wonderd were all the star crazing & gelcoat fractures come from ? (side-bear-back-skiing).

I say,
lets make this grip tape "in class" at the AGM.
Steve Sawford
Archive
Archive

Good idea [Jonathan]

Post by Archive »

Jonathan replied:

I'll second that.

As a new sprinter its become clear to me that the front toe loop is in the wrong position - it makes you stand too far back in moderate winds so the transoms drag. And its not very comfortable to sit on. I understand its OK to remove them, so lets make the tape legal as well.

Another boat for a SSM upgrade!

Jonathan
Archive
Archive

Rules change [Bob]

Post by Archive »

Bob replied:

Somebody needs to get a rule ammendment propoasl into Nick fast if you want to legalise the grippy stickey tape.
Cheers
Bob
Archive
Archive

Submitted [Jonathan]

Post by Archive »

Jonathan replied:

I'm not sure of the format required, but I've sent an email to Nick outlining the proposal and a pointer to the discussion here.

Jonathan.