The UK Dart 15 Association

Hoisting the sail [Mark Downer]

Dart 15 Chat
Archive
Archive

Post by Archive »

Mark Downer wrote:

Hello Again (another new guy question!).

I've had a few blasts on my 15 now and I'm well and truely hooked. However, my problem is the sail isn't so easily hooked when I'm trying to hoist it. Can someone give me some advice please on the best ways of hoisting and dropping the sail?

I've sprayed lubricant on the track, and the sail goes up pretty well save for the last foot or so. Then it's a real struggle to pull it up, and for the hook to engage - as the blisters on my fingers can testify! The uphaul rope could probably do with replacing too which might help, but I was wondering what the best technique is to use for hooking and releasing the sail.

Thanks for any help (I'm not sure how long I can get away with "capsizing" my 15 to engage the hook before people start giving me strange looks!).
Archive
Archive

Hoisting The Sail [Mark Aldridge]

Post by Archive »

Mark Aldridge replied:

Mark

The answer most definately is not to just pull harder and harder, you'll wreck the sail bolt rope.

First thing to do is to use silicon spray on both the sail bolt rope and in the mast groove, making sure everything is nice and clean beforehand.

Do you have a one or two piece mast? Either way make sure the groove is smooth and if it's a two piece ensure the join is precise.

There are two bakerlite type material guide wheels, one at the top and one at the bottom of the mast. Make sure these are in good order and if in doubt change them. These ensure the sail uphaul line has a smooth action.

With regards to actually hoisting the sail itself, try this:-

Get the sail in the mast groove having attached the shackle (nip the shackle with the downhaul cleat)and make sure the uphaul rope is on the starboard side of the hook at the top of the mast. This is really important, because if your uphaul rope is going around your hook it gets really tough at the top. Watch your burgee positioning here as it can get caught up too in the hook if you're not careful. OK, now stand on the trampoline and with one hand pull the uphaul and with the other push the sail up using the plastic batten caps. You'll be amazed at how easy this is all the way up.
Make sure the hook engages, if not just have a look and turn the mast accordingly.

To disengage the hook, pull the sail up using the uphaul and turn the mast hook away from the top ring, if you're not sure which way to turn it, just look up the mast from near the mounting ball on the front beam and it should be obvious!

My sail will fall down unassisted when siliconed and un hooked.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck

Mark Aldridge

Dart15 1930 'Nothing Ever Happens'
Archive
Archive

Been there...done that... [Keith in Singapore]

Post by Archive »

Keith in Singapore replied:

Yep

Silicon made mine fall down (not literally). Prior to that I had to take a bight of halyard around the mainsheet and use that as a purchase......loads of creaking ensued....

The last foot maybe down to overtight battens trying to prebend the mast, coupled with worn batten end covers. When they wear they can wedge in to the track.

A good hint is how far the tack is pulling away from the mast when the sail is nearly full height, and how difficult it is to pull the tack in to the mast and slide it down once the sail is up....if it's miles away there is to much leach tension, therefore prebend.

As Mark says, an obvious one is to make sure the halyard is the right side of the hook before you start pulling......turn your back and it jumps the otherside, then wrecks your burgee as you get to the hounds.

Enuff.

Keith
Archive
Archive

Post by Archive »

Mark Downer replied:

Thanks for the advice - once (if?) we get some summer weather back I'll get down with a can of silicon and give it a go!

Mark