The UK Dart 15 Association

Advice on repairing hull damage

Dart 15 Chat
gelliot8
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Advice on repairing hull damage

Post by gelliot8 »

I think I know what the response to this query will be, but here goes in any case:

I have recently had an accident with my Dart15 and the front underside of one of the hulls was hit hard. looking externally there wasn't much obvious damage apart from along the keel edge there are a number of dents most of which look fairly easy to repair.

But pressing along the side of the hull there appears to be a region near the front and near where the hull was hit that I think is now much softer than before.

Is it possible that the glass fibre has delaminated internally in this area. As I say there does not appear to be any externally visible damage to the sides of the hulls

If so is it possible for me to attempt a repair on this area. I'm prepared to attempt a fairly magor project to do this, but the soft area does seem fairly large (aprrox 300mm X 200MM).

Is it possble to do this repair without removing the deck, if not how difficult is it to remove the deck and how should the deck re-fixed to the hull after the repair is made.

I know I should take the hull to Steve Sawford, but I really haven't got the funds to get a professional to do this repair, if I don't fix it then I think I will have to just leave it.

Any advice aprreciated.
Martin
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Martin »

If the damage was accidental, could that element of it form part of an insurance claim to offset some of the cost?
Brian Phipps
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Brian Phipps »

Hi, From what you are discribing it does sound like a deck off job, but it does not have to be the whole deck ,depending were it is. The alternative is some letter box work either way quite a lot of work if you want a good result.
It does sound like an insurance job, if Steve is closest or most convienet take it there alternatively we at Windsport will send a insurance quote based on supplied phots and can loan a hull while the repair is taking place. At this time on the year you want to be on the water so another possibe alternative is to tape it up with duck tape (as long as it is not structural) and get it done at a later date.
Keeping the water out is important at this point.
Hope that helps
Brian Windsport
gelliot8
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by gelliot8 »

Brian Phipps wrote:Hi, From what you are discribing it does sound like a deck off job, but it does not have to be the whole deck ,depending were it is. The alternative is some letter box work either way quite a lot of work if you want a good result.
It does sound like an insurance job, if Steve is closest or most convienet take it there alternatively we at Windsport will send a insurance quote based on supplied phots and can loan a hull while the repair is taking place. At this time on the year you want to be on the water so another possibe alternative is to tape it up with duck tape (as long as it is not structural) and get it done at a later date.
Keeping the water out is important at this point.
Hope that helps
Brian Windsport
Thanks for the responses

Hadn't thought about insurance claim, will look into this. Are you suggesting a house insurance claim, the insurance for the cat is only third party I think

If the claim isn't on, how is the deck sealed to the hull. I understand that only part of the deck will need lifting, but I'm not sure how it should be re-fitted after any repar to the hull is completed.

To be honest I'm not too botherd about a high quality finish, just want to get sailing again.

Thanks
Charles
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Charles »

I think you'll probably find the deck pretty difficult to take off in 1 piece so that it will go back on neatly, I know Steve S has made deck moulds so that he can put a perfect deck back on.

The material is different, but depending on the size of your damage the princple may be the same, when I sailed mirrors damage to the hull was often done in a keyhole surgery fashion by cutting away the damage & making a piece with a hole in the centre & piece of string, which would go through the hole in the hull & the epoxy you had plastered it with would stick to the inside of the hull, sealing the hole, when you pulled on the string. Keep the string tight long enough for the epoxy to cure, cut off the string & fill the hole.

This may be completely inappropriate for your damage, but it might work, just be careful not to decrease the value of your boat with a bodge.

Charles.