Dart 15 Boat Database
Martin Searle
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Martin Searle »

Owner: Martin Searle
Type: Monaco
Built: 1989

Martin has owned 1331 since 1991 when it was bought second hand from the Laser Centre. I have replaced virtually all components of the boat except for: Hulls, beams and mast and one or two fixtures. Mostly due to various pieces wearing out or breaking them.

The boat has won the Seasalter SC Helm of the Year Award (which is really the overall club championship) on 6 occasions (1998,99,2000 & 2002,03 and 04) with Martin in command. I have at one time or another won every club trophy, apart from the Seasalter Classic, available for the fast handicap class using the boat.

It has competed in a number of TT's (Seasalter (Several times best place 4), ODC and Sandwich Bay) and at 5 Nationals (94,99,02, 04 & 06) but has never placed higher than 32nd overall. Yep I under perform in the nationals and TT's.

Previous Owners: An old chap (in his 70s) in Herne Bay apparently owned it before me and he upgraded to an 18.
Ex Sprint 15 Webmaster
Ex Seasalter SC Webmaster
RYA Regional Race Officer (South East Region) (Expired)
RYA Club Race Coach (Expired)
RYA Dinghy Sailing Instructor (Expired)
Martin Searle
Admiral
Admiral

1331 Sails

Post by Martin Searle »

I forgot to mention that for 1331 I have the following sails:

3 Mains - the original Blue,Pink and White one, a newer one I bought in 1997 which is Green,Red and White (I mostly use it for club racing) and then that same year I won the original prototype mainsail for the new cloth that was made by Hyde's in 1997 at a raffle held at the re-scheduled Nationals at Grafham (Its this latter one that I keep for Opens and Nationals so its still pretty new).

2 Jibs - the original that came with the boat in 1991 and since that was getting well past its sell by date I replaced it with a brand new one earlier this season.

Martin S.
Ex Sprint 15 Webmaster
Martin Searle
Admiral
Admiral

1331 Update

Post by Martin Searle »

It has now competed in 6 Nationals with the 2007 one under its belt. Also had some more bits replaced that had reached their MTBF!

Martin S.
Ex Sprint 15 Webmaster
Martin Searle
Admiral
Admiral

Measurement Certificate

Post by Martin Searle »

When I bought the boat it had its original measurement certificate with it. I'm about the only one in the club with one so I guess these aren't standard.

Next item to replace: Traveller line since my original one is wearing quite badly on the beating positions setting.
Ex Sprint 15 Webmaster
Martin Searle
Admiral
Admiral

Mainsheet

Post by Martin Searle »

Another thing (almost at my 100 posts so I'm posting a lot of seperate articles!):

My mainsheet was becoming very frayed and during the 2007 Nationals I found it would automatically unjam whenever a gust hit it, so there I was tootling along quite nicely and bam mainsheet would let go (feeble excuse I know)! I'd sprayed the cam with some tethlon lubricant spray before the event and I thought I had got some actually on the Jaws face, but I don't.

The sheet was wearing quite badly so after the nationals I replaced it with a new one and this sticks quite nicely in the blocks and doesn't release in gusts. I guess it was the wear that was causing the release since that was worst in the fully in position which was where it slipped out of the cleat.

Martin S.
Ex Sprint 15 Webmaster
Martin Searle
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Martin Searle »

As a 20th Birthday present for the boat I have done the following:

Got Steve Sawford to give the hulls a through overhaul. A wonderful job done, looks great, worth every penny.

Replaced both toestraps.

Fixed a problem with the track on rear beam sliding into the hull causing damage which could only be done when it was all disassembled.

And I'll get around to fixing the launching trolley wheels with some brand new ones when I get around to it.

Looking good!

Martin S.
Ex Sprint 15 Webmaster
Martin Searle
Admiral
Admiral

1331 Update

Post by Martin Searle »

Well since my last post the boat has done the 2008 nationals at Thorpe Bay, 2 Seasalter TT's and I took home the 2008 SSC Helm of the Year trophy for the 7th time. I'm now leading the SSC points ranking ladder by over 7,000 points (http://www.seasaltersc.org.uk/racing/compladder.php)

Yep you guessed more bits replaced, noteably the mast ball due to excessive wear. I also have to replace the cover since its shot through not too bad for about 7yrs of use.

Martin S.
Ex Sprint 15 Webmaster
Martin Searle
Admiral
Admiral

Re: 1331

Post by Martin Searle »

The boat has had some new bits over the last 3 years: Connector bar, a couple of mainsheets, new toestraps, new cover, rudder covers and assorted bits and pieces.

I won the helm of the year trophy at SSC for the 8th time in 2010.
Ex Sprint 15 Webmaster
Martin Searle
Admiral
Admiral

Re: 1331

Post by Martin Searle »

Still being sailed at Seasalter, for one reason or another (GF, Bad knee, GF! :roll: ) it didn't get as much use as I'd like last season with the laser being used more than the dart. After the nationals I never re-rigged it :( but hope to get more sailing done this year.
Ex Sprint 15 Webmaster