The UK Dart 15 Association

Filey 12 & 13 July

Dart 15 Chat
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Filey 12 & 13 July

Post by Bob Carter »

Just a quick reminder it is our Open Meeting at Filey this weekend coming. The full details are on the Filey Website (www.fileysc.co.uk) but I have reproduced the event notice below.

:lol: :lol: You should sign on for the P course - not the windward - leeward course. :lol: :lol:

We are hoping for a larger participation from the Filey Sprint 15 fleet this year as we did a training session there earlier this year and also the club have agreed not to put the Sprint 15 sailors on duty if they want to race.

Cheers

Bob

THIS POSTER CONSTITUTES NOTICE OF RACE UNDER RULE 88.2 & APPENDIX J1

Regatta 2008 – 12th & 13th July

All classes welcome Entry fee’s £20 sgl & £25 dbl handers

6 Boats constitute a fleet B.B.Q. Sat night £7 each

PY system used for h/cap fleet Bar Fri & Sat Night

Concessionary camping & parking arranged by Filey SC – see www.fileysc.co.uk

For further details contact: Bridget Robinson 01723 376628 (evenings) or email bridget@cockrob.fsnet.co.uk

RACE DETAILS

‘P’ course

4 races, 3 to count

2 races Saturday, 2 race on Sunday

Briefing 12 noon Sat, 1st race 13.00 hours

Race 2 back to back after race 1

Race 3 Sunday @ 11.00hrs

Race 4 back to back after race 3

Windward/Leeward course

6 races, 5 to count

3 races Saturday, 3 races Sunday

Briefing 12.00 noon Saturday, 1st race 13.00 hours

Race 2 & 3 back to back after race 1

Race 4 Sunday 10.30hrs

Race 5 & 6 back to back after race 4

SAVE TIME & MONEY ON THE DAY!? – DOWNLOAD FORMS AND SEND IN POSTAL ENTRIES SEE www.fileysc.co.uk under events
Steven Tunnacliffe
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post by Steven Tunnacliffe »

Thought we had all hibernated again, good to hear from you Bob.

There should be a fair contingent from Halifax SC Myself and Ben with Charles, Dave Walker, Robin Boardman and Steve Davison.

If the plan comes together :D
Steve

1959 Forever Young
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Bob Carter »

Steven Tunnacliffe wrote:Thought we had all hibernated again, good to hear from you Bob.

There should be a fair contingent from Halifax SC Myself and Ben with Charles, Dave Walker, Robin Boardman and Steve Davison.

If the plan comes together :D
Hi Steve,
Sound great. That must be more Halifax Sailors than an average race at Halifax.
Cheers
Bob
Steven Tunnacliffe
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post by Steven Tunnacliffe »

last week we had 5 out in that high wind for the first two races with a mix of intrepid monohulls who all retired before the start of the third race which only boasted 3 Sprints out on the water myself Ben and Dave Walker, where the boat and wind proceeded to give us all a good battering, (still recovering from the bruises and knocks), Ive a big stripe down the ribs from a shroud a bruised shine from the front beam when my darling tried a pitch pole but failed and a bruise from the jib fairlead as I was thrown forward at speed sliding over it, that one smarts :shock:

The sprints are regularly the predominant boat out on our little pond, usually 4 but 5 isnt uncommon, there are 8 sprints that do race not all regularly but may come once or twice a month.
For instance we were joined last week for the first two races by our own George Carter, who only turns up really if there is a good blow.
Steve

1959 Forever Young
Ben
Leading Rate
Leading Rate

Post by Ben »

aye the old man did get a bashing! poor old fella bruises easy now! :twisted: not happy that he has sorted his rudders out now seems to be closer to my boat than before could prove sum serious father son battle at filey watch this space!
1343, thats me, took it to the sea, and came number 3, further up is where i really wanna be!
Robin Boardman
Warrant Officer (Class Two)

Post by Robin Boardman »

Thought I'd place a short report here - if it needs to go elsewhere then please tell me or feel free to copy and paste.

Six Halifax boats joined and Ray Gall from Carsington joined a local boat (whose name I forget) to make a total of 8 boats and a class start for Sprint 15s at the Filey regatta.
It is a superb sailing venue, well run by the club with ample camping/accommodation and car parking readily available. The only problem this year was a lack of wind.
Saturday's first race barely got to 5 knots and the wind was variable but each leg was as intended (ie no beats becoming runs). Between races the wind swung 180 degs and increased to about 10 knots. The race officer soon had the course relaid and a good race was held, wind speed dropping as the race progressed. Overnight honours were shared by Robin Boardman and Charles Watson sailing with his 7 year old daughter Elenya.
All sailors enjoyed a barbecue at the club after racing, enjoying the wonderful views over Filey bay.
Sunday dawned calm. The race started calm. The race finished calm. It was a real test of light wind sailing, with a large swell, the noise of waves crashing onto Filey brigg, a bell mark ominously tolling nearby, and pesky manoeuvrable dinghies making life for the cat sailors hard. After swopping positions several times, Robin Boardman got a puff of wind at the finish to grab the race and meeting honours from a disappointed Charles and Elenya Watson.
The fleet then returned to shore where the wind deteriorated even more causing the 4th race to be abandoned. Naturally, as soon as boats were packed away a nice sea breeze came, showing the bay at its best and reminding us all what a good venue this was and why we should return.

I do not have any more results (I think Ben Tunnicliffe was third) although I am sure these will be available from the club website in time.

Robin Boardman
Martin Searle
Admiral
Admiral

Event report

Post by Martin Searle »

Robin Boardman wrote:Thought I'd place a short report here - if it needs to go elsewhere then please tell me or feel free to copy and paste.
<snip>
Robin Boardman
Hi Robin,

I have copied your report into the event report section of the website and entered the results into the scoring system so everything has been updated etc.

http://www.sprint15.com/events/EMS/event.php?id=27

Martin S.
Ex Sprint 15 Webmaster
Ex Seasalter SC Webmaster
RYA Regional Race Officer (South East Region) (Expired)
RYA Club Race Coach (Expired)
RYA Dinghy Sailing Instructor (Expired)
AndyP
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by AndyP »

Thanks to everyone who came and made the weekend enjoyable and much more interesting. Next time I'll arrange for more wind.

Overall a great regatta, with over 130 boats on the water.

I have the the actual and corrected times if anyone needs them.

Thanks again.

Andrew
Ben
Leading Rate
Leading Rate

Post by Ben »

just to add my voice i found the regatta event very dis-appointing i found mono hulls very ignorant they wudnt let the cats with the first start throught which could be a 'cat'astrophy if heavy winds occured this would be fatal as it takes ten minutes to get a-shore!! dinghies littered the small - p course and i myself nearly killed a few lasers when the wind had a lil gust at the beging of the second race! to me this is a disasterous event filey sprints should not be at the regatta which is a shame as i have a special bond with filey and love the place maybe a seperate event could be organised but when we want a seperate start procedure at halifax we should bother if the REGATTA is an exceptible feature to our event
1343, thats me, took it to the sea, and came number 3, further up is where i really wanna be!
Robin Boardman

Post by Robin Boardman »

Reagrding Andrew Philips, I have now realised that we swopped masts at Filey back in 2006. I have to say I did not recognise that fact at the weekend when we spoke - hope you did not think me rude. Again, enjoyed the event very much and hope the Sprints get back there soon

Robin Boardman