The UK Dart 15 Association

Short top forestay strop

Dart 15 Chat
Robin Boardman
Warrant Officer (Class Two)
Warrant Officer (Class Two)

Short top forestay strop

Post by Robin Boardman »

Whilst rigging his boat recently at our club, Halifax SC, one of our members noticed that the reason the mainsail was not going up smoothly was that the mast was horizontal, the short strop at the top of the forestay having snapped. Further inspection revealed the top jib furler swivel was almost seized and that it was almost certainly the resulting twisting effect applied to the top strop that had caused it to fail.

Now I realise that most of you are probably yawning at this point but I had not thought about this and so maybe someone else has not.

So check those top swivels - not a long shin up a Sprint 15 mast!!
Georgecart
Petty Officer
Petty Officer

Strop

Post by Georgecart »

Yes, has happened to me in the past. The furler needs to be lubricated, never furl with the mainsheet under tension and tie an emergency piece of string through the strop to stop the mast coming down if the strop breaks.
Georgecart
Petty Officer
Petty Officer

Strop

Post by Georgecart »

Yes, has happened to me in the past. The furler needs to be lubricated, never furl with the mainsheet under tension and tie an emergency piece of string through the strop to stop the mast coming down if the strop breaks.
George Love
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by George Love »

For more info. on this subject, see the 'Tips' section of this site complete with text and pics.
Cheers,
George Love : Fly-by-Wire : 2019