The UK Dart 15 Association

Nick Dewhirst

Dart 15 Chat
Kevin Dutch
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Nick Dewhirst

Post by Kevin Dutch »

It has been such a sad day and I just cannot put into words really of how I'm feeling right now!
Nick has been such an important part of my sailing life and he will be sadly missed and absolutely never replaced!!!!
1938 Flying Dutchman
@sprint151938
Kevin Dutch
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Nick Dewhurst

Post by Kevin Dutch »

He has done so much for catamaran sailing and everything else that he put his heart into! It's just a major shock!!! :cry:
1938 Flying Dutchman
@sprint151938
Martin Searle
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Martin Searle »

It's been a big shock today, he was instrumental for me buying my boat and being involved with the class association. He was a larger than life character and involved with everything.

Martin S.
Ex Sprint 15 Webmaster
Ex Seasalter SC Webmaster
RYA Regional Race Officer (South East Region) (Expired)
RYA Club Race Coach (Expired)
RYA Dinghy Sailing Instructor (Expired)
pegums
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by pegums »

Really sad to hear this, Nick will alwyas be well remembered by all those whoever met him, how can we ever forget the after dinner speeches, the walks along various seafronts to various pubs, the tireless campainging for all things cat sailing related. Nick will be sadly sadly missed by all. My condolances to Sissy and family. We must all arrange a suitable tribute.
simon
Captain
Captain

Post by simon »

A sad sad day

A man passionate about his sailing, always willing to help and advise. A man who will be sadly missed but not forgotten.

Simon
Steve Willis
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Steve Willis »

Definitely a sad day.

After a quick chat before sailing today we decided to make a fleet trip to Whitstable YC from Seasalter and 11 cats arrived on the beach at Whitstable where we met with Sissy, Oliver and Benedict, in the WYC refreshment area, to offer our condolences They were pleased to see a strong turnout from Nick's old club with half our Sprint 15 fleet arrayed on the beach.

WYC held a minute's silence on the water prior to the start of the day's races.

Steve
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Bob Carter »

Steve Willis wrote:Definitely a sad day.

After a quick chat before sailing today we decided to make a fleet trip to Whitstable YC from Seasalter and 11 cats arrived on the beach at Whitstable where we met with Sissy, Oliver and Benedict, in the WYC refreshment area, to offer our condolences They were pleased to see a strong turnout from Nick's old club with half our Sprint 15 fleet arrayed on the beach.

WYC held a minute's silence on the water prior to the start of the day's races.

Steve
Well done Steve,
That was a really nice thing to do. Thank you for sharing it with us.
Regards
Bob
David Groom
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by David Groom »

As I just posted on the Dart 18 website Nick had told me he was hoping to do the double in terms of the 18 and 15 Nationals this August and now neither event will be quite the same.

David Groom
George Wood
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by George Wood »

VERY sad news. We have known Nick and Sissy for a frightening 30 years or more. It seems like yesterday that I first met Nick at Pagham Sailing club where I was racing Dart18's with Mike Cemm.
Nick was in the bar that evening and started to explain the ins and out's of the stock market to me, I was getting bored, until the disco (that's what we called a rave in those days!) started to play “Star Trekkin” with the memorable line of “there's klingons off the starboard bow” repeated over and over. Nick immediately abandoned his lecture to me, and had everyone up on the fragile club house floor dancing so energetically that the club asked us to stop as the club house may tip over ! It aws and still is I believe, a very small club.

With Nick that's how it continued for 30 years – good fun, great company and always welcoming and kind to everyone. He will be greatly missed.

Our heartfelt condolences go out to Sissie and the family.

George & Hilary

PS If you want to know what the song sounded like : http://xmb.stuffucanuse.com/xmb/viewthread.php?tid=3132 it may just make you smile when you think of Nick leaping up and down to this !
Andrew Hannah
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Andrew Hannah »

I think it would be fair to say that we are all heartbroken. Our sense of loss is such that we cannot imagine life without him. Nick was somebody whom we all looked up to and admired. He especially spent time with newcomers who may have been daunted with catamarans. His annual training weekends are testimony of this.

But he had a life outside of sailing. Although he seldom talked about his family, he was a devoted family man.

As George Wood has noted, Nick was an unquestioned authority on the stock market. He was renowned in foreseeing the popping of the dot com bubble.

Everyone will remember him for his off-the-cuff speeches, always given with humour. We will miss his humanity.

God bless you, Nick.
Last edited by Andrew Hannah on Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fading star of the Thorpe Bay fleet
Former rugby player in the extra-B
Struggling musician
Second best cabbage in the village show...
Duncan Ford
Warrant Officer (Class Two)

Post by Duncan Ford »

Such shocking and terribly sad news. Nick was a larger than life character full of fun and mischief and a tireless worker for all things catamaran related. He will be truly and sorely missed.

I am pleased to have had a long chat with him in the bar at the TBYC TT just two weeks ago. In true style he had been late and missed the first race, but he was last in the boat park after the event wishing his friends and fellow sailors a safe homeward trip. Little did we know what fate would bring.

Bob Scott and I used to see Nick for a coffee at his home or a beer in Whitstable YC when we used to sailed over from Thorpe Bay. He was always friendly and welcoming.

There was much sadness amongst the Sprint fleet at TBYC this weekend. Heartfelt condolences to Sissy and family.

Duncan Ford 1973
Robert
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Robert »

So sad. Can't imagine a National event without him. Nick was unique - we all know how. I was fortunate to be with sailing friends Ray Gall and Steve Sawford at the Bala Enduro when I was told the news. He was in our thoughts particularly on the water yesterday in a beautiful place and we cracked a can or two afterwards, remembering what a great and able gentleman he was. Rest peacefully, Nick.
Robert England
Steve Sawford

Post by Steve Sawford »

22 years knowing a great friend who helped and aspired me in sailing , business and life's ups and downs.
God bless you Nick.
Sailing and racing Dart 15`s for 23 years ,
What a fantastic boat . 1733 Tigershark owned her for 22yrs What a gal
jonsalter
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by jonsalter »

So sad to hear the news. I met Nick at the Nationals last year, such a friendly and helpful man full of good advice. He will be greatly missed.
My condolences to his family.
Thankyou Nick.
Jon Salter.
Paul Craft

Post by Paul Craft »

The man, his energy and enthusiasm for all things cat sailing will be greatly missed.

My thoughts are with Sissie and family.

Paul