Launching trolley bar extraction

Dart 15 Chat
Derek James
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Launching trolley bar extraction

Post by Derek James »

Hi ,
does anybody know how to extract the tube that the trolley wheels rotate around . One of mine has unbelievably worn through and snapped off . It absolutely refuses to move and I have given up trying to get it out before I wreck the outer tube . I have sprayed a can of penetrating fluid onto joint but no movement . Any suggestions gratefully received .
Cheers Derek
Derek ( Dray cat ) Sprint 1744
Mike Gough
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Re: Launching trolley bar extraction

Post by Mike Gough »

You could try warming the outer tube with a blow torch.
Derek James
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post by Derek James »

Mike ,
I tried a blow torch , I heated tube as much as I dare but worried about melting / hardening tube .
Cheers
Derek
Kevin Parvin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Kevin Parvin »

It's the stub axle you've bust, that's happened to me twice over the years. If you sail on the sea a combination of salt and sand grinds away in the gap between trolley wheel and aluminium tube. Eventually it gives up and breaks. I got a local firm to weld the two pieces back together but aluminium welding is a difficult art and probably not worth the bother. My repair lasted a couple of weeks then snapped again, it was binned and I acquired some solid aluminium tube which was cut and drilled to size, with enough over to give me a spare.

The stub axle is held in place with a bolt through the outer and inner tube, which can be equally difficult to remove. The bolt is made of steel and reacts with the aluminium of the trolley. A good smack with a hammer should get it shifted. You may find soaking the broken end of the trolley (minus wheel) in a bucket of hot water may get things moving, though you may need to repeat the process several times.

I think you can get a replacement tube from windsport.

Kevin
Robert
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Robert »

Tough one, Derek. I was fortunate after my trolley got smashed up at Carnac. Maybe the smashing up helped, but the stub came out easily. I can only suggest whatever combination of the following you can manage:

- heat the outer tube and cool the inner one

- outer tube in a decent vice, tightened sufficiently to stop rotation with pipe wrench on stub (as soon as you can after the above)

- put a tube onto the handle of the pipe wrench for extra leverage

- do this repeatedly in opposite directions

- keep adding WD 40 or similar when cool, leave overnight and try again

- just try for an imagined bit of movement in opposite directions each time

- persist

If the above doesn't work, buy a new tube and two new stubs :( .

Expect you've done all that. Expect the wrench slipped, too, but file a couple of flats onto it if it did. Before giving up completely, enquire with a local engineer about the idea of cutting the end off and drilling out the remaining inner tube.

Good luck.
Robert England
Mike Gough
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Mike Gough »

When you do manage to get the axle tube out Derek, I found this was the cheapest place for replacement, 600mm will be long enough to replace both axles.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390930202594? ... EBIDX%3AIT
Brian Phipps
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Brian Phipps »

Windsport reply.
Original centre axles had a aluminium insert to provide the correct wall thickness and created corrosion problems.
Windsport identified the problem when taking over production and changed the insert to a plastic one , which eliminates corrosion and allows for simple dis-assembly when required.
All small wheel replacement parts are available on the cat parts website.
Brian
Sprint 15 technical support
Derek James
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post by Derek James »

All,
thanks for all of your replies and suggestions . I think basically I need to give it some welly . I have the offending part soaking in WD40 at the moment and will give it another try at the week end .
Cheers
Derek