The UK Dart 15 Association

Thorpe Bay TT 23rd-24th July

Dart 15 Chat
moreair
Warrant Officer (Class Two)

Thorpe Bay TT 23rd-24th July

Post by moreair »

I thought it would be a good time to remind people that the Thorpe Bay TT is coming up the weekend after next. I am sure you will all want to come as it will be the last opportunity to sail in a large fleet of Sprints before the August Nationals in Pwllheli. Or good research for next years Thorpe Bay Nationals.

The NOR has been published on the main Sprint15 website and is available on this link http://www.sprint15.com/events/EMS/even ... 6%20V1.pdf . We hope that the weather is going to be good, we certainly have had the wind recently, so we have scheduled 5 races (3 Saturday and 2 Sunday). And after racing I hope we can all sit on the club balcony and enjoy some sun and refreshment.

Free camping on the green in front of the club house has been authorised for the weekend, all others facilities are in the club building. If you can please let us know if you plan to camp. Not forgetting if you want to come earlier we don't mind you camping in Friday as well. We also have many hotels and B&B's at all price ranges, There are now 2 Premier Inns on the seafront within a mile of us. I have checked the list on the Event Post and all of the hotels still look valid.

If you want to bring your family then although we are in the quieter end of Southend, we can suggest a varied set of things to do. The TV unfortunately won't have Euro Football, Wimbledon Tennis maybe some F1 so I will try and ensure there is some sailing to watch.

Catering is available all weekend and a meal has been organised for class meal has arranged for Saturday evening.

We are also always very keen that you don't follow your GPS's to get to the club because it drags you through the main town although there is a lot easier ways:
"We warn everybody not to follow their GPS as it will take you on a tour. The quickest way is to enter Southend on the A127 and just go straight over each and every roundabout and traffic lights until you reach the sea. Turn left and TBYC boat park is 500 yds on the left. Ignore all the signs as the A127 at one point does turn into A1159, just remain straight. It is all Dual Carriageway, except a small section at the start of the A1159 around a few corners. Be warned there are average speed cameras from Basildon until the “Welcome to Southend on Sea” sign and then there are several normal speed cameras from there onwards with 40 mph speed limits."

Let me know if you have any questions.

Paul Morgan, Sprint Captain, Thorpe Bay Yacht Club
Paul - Sprint 1954
DavidGroom
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Thorpe Bay TT 23rd-24th July

Post by DavidGroom »

Paul

Sorry I cannot attend but I can now do the Nationals (Yipee in Welsh Speak) and will be sending Erling a form and cheque.

So I look forward to nightly position updates over the TB weekend and loads of photos of flags flying. Just as a hint, could whoever does the write up also send it to your local papers as they often print as well which is all good free PR. Also I suggest they send the write up to Y and Y (with loads of Pickies) the latter half of the week as it stays visible much longer that way.

Lets hope it blows for the Nationals and see you all there.
David Groom

For cat sailors life has two certainties d@@@h and racing a Sprint 15
Liam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Liam »

And I would like lots of pictures for the web site please.
2034 - No Quarter, 1957 - Dreadnought, 1709 - Biscuit
Shanklin Sailing Club
Holder of OTT Shield
9th most improved at 2018 Nationals
moreair

Post by moreair »

The weather forecast is suggesting it is going to be a lovely weekend, however some maybe looking and thinking about the wind conditions. I have spoken to several people (and tend to agree) who believe the hot temperatures that we are expecting will be opportunity for a sea breeze to build, giving us a breeze that is more than forecast. This is very similar conditions to the last Traveller that was at Thorpe Bay. So we should all look forward to racing with a good breeze from the South.

I know some people may remember our Nationals and how the wind dropped off but the conditions were different and the wind was from the W - NW.

You will be surprised.

Paul
Paul - Sprint 1954
hhawkes
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by hhawkes »

Thank you TBYC, a great event. Anyone who was put off by windguru missed two days of premium sailing.

However there was a problem from my point of view...George was going like a train in his new boat!
Liam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Liam »

Forgot to mention, I put the results up yesterday - http://www.sprint15.com/events/EMS/event.php?id=145
Shanklin Sailing Club
Holder of OTT Shield
moreair

Post by moreair »

Pauline Love took a great set of photos which I will load to the internet probably tomorrow. I will then advertise the link. No surprise George is in many of them.

Paul
Paul - Sprint 1954
Liam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Liam »

Please can you make them downloadable so I can put them on this site. Or email them to me.
Shanklin Sailing Club
Holder of OTT Shield
George Love
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by George Love »

A truly outstanding event with champagne sailing all the way. The forecast was wrong and Paul was exactly right with a great sea breeze under sunny skies to delight the combatants. Thank you TBYC for a great event, great hospitality which goes with the territory at this super club, great courses and good banter off the water. I had a ball. The fact that I had my best TT result ever and actually won a race for the very first time was the icing and the candles on the cake :D A great weekend all round.
P.S. If any of the attendees would like a photo from the ones taken by the editor's moll, send your name, sail no., and email address to me : 'newsletter@sprint15.com'
Cheers & Laughter
Last edited by George Love on Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George Love : Fly-by-Wire : 2019
Gordon
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post by Gordon »

Terrific event at Thorpe Bay, thanks to everyone for putting on a great event.
Plenty of wind and sunshine in a great location and 5 really well run races.
Paul Morgan's weather forecast was spot on, far more accurate than all the professional weather forecasters, with plenty of wind on both days.
And what a wide open event it was, 4 different race winners I believe, including the first ever wins for George Love and Steve Healy. Well done guys.

Looking forward to next year's Nationals.

Only downside was the lady who ran into the back of my boat whilst it was on the trailer driving in the Southend traffic !

Regards
Gordon
Liam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Liam »

Have added some pictures from Pauline Love to this web site: http://www.sprint15.com/picture-gallery ... Bay-TT.php
Shanklin Sailing Club
Holder of OTT Shield
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Bob Carter »

Looks like a good event. Who is doing the race report? It would be great if we could also have a link to the Sailwave results file. :D
DavidGroom
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by DavidGroom »

Lots of Lurv going on or past in these pictures. Shows what a good event it was. Roll on the Nationals
David Groom

For cat sailors life has two certainties d@@@h and racing a Sprint 15
Liam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Liam »

Report is now on the web site: http://www.sprint15.com/events/EMS/event.php?id=145

Full results below.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (382.59 KiB) Viewed 17023 times
Shanklin Sailing Club
Holder of OTT Shield
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Bob Carter »

Liam wrote:Report is now on the web site: http://www.sprint15.com/events/EMS/event.php?id=145

Full results below.
Capture.PNG
Hi Liam,
Any chance you can link this to the race report in the events section?
Regards
Bob