The UK Dart 15 Association

GoPro attachment to Sprint 15

Dart 15 Chat
Kevin Parvin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

GoPro attachment to Sprint 15

Post by Kevin Parvin »

I'm wanting to use my GoPro camera at the Nationals but need some advice about the best and safest place to attach it to the Cat. I've used it on a Supernova by attaching it via a cycle crossbar mount to the tiller, but not sure this would work on the cat con-bar.
Has anyone used a sticky mounting on the Sprint, are they robust enough to stand a good wave dumping over the boat.

Thanks
Kevin
Liam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GoPro attachment to Sprint 15

Post by Liam »

Hello Kevin,

yes sticky mounts are good enough. Although sometimes they aren't. Stick it on and test it before letting your camera loose on it. Make sure you have cleaned that part of the boat first.

Top of the mast gives the best pictures I think. Because the curve on the mast is different to the curve on the camera base I tried two stickers on top of each other. It seemed to work well.

The bike mount does work on the connecting bar.

Tie the camera down with string just in case.
2034 - No Quarter, 1957 - Dreadnought, 1709 - Biscuit
Shanklin Sailing Club
Holder of OTT Shield
9th most improved at 2018 Nationals
Liam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Liam »

Have just noticed a bug in our videos page at https://www.sprint15.com/videos.php relating to SSL certificates. Should all be good now.

If you are bored for a couple of hours you can see how we roll in Shanklin https://www.shanklinsailingclub.com/new-videos.php
2034 - No Quarter, 1957 - Dreadnought, 1709 - Biscuit
Shanklin Sailing Club
Holder of OTT Shield
9th most improved at 2018 Nationals
Kev192
Petty Officer
Petty Officer

Post by Kev192 »

Kev, i use go pros on #2007 , i like the backward facing view from just behind the bridlewire, as Liam has often posted footage off as well.
make sure you always tie them on as one bad wave could either knock the camera off or something happens to hit it off. the view gives a good clear indication of what the sail is doing and a nice view behind, sticky pads mounts are ok. make sure you dont have too many fittings so that the camera can be adjusted asa bad wave can easily knock the cam to the deck.
ive tried the tiller bar view and not a lover of it unless you like watching yourself , and it moves around every time you push the tiller bar.
easiily mounted with a handlebar bracket and adjustable connector.
as for the mast mount like Liam uses i havent tried that yet.
i have got one mounted under the front beam on the hull but not used it yet i think the waves would soon hit it out of adjustment.
never buy the real go pro kit as its so expensive and you can get it cheaper on ebay in large kit forms.
if you have any stuff to post on youtube post the link, mines there under Kevin Sandover :D
#192 "Mutley192" Hurricane 5.9 Sold
#7128 "Straycat" Dart 18 Sold
#7424 "MBM" Sold Dart 18
#2007 "Erl" Sprint15
#103 "Mutley103" Spitfire Sold
#96 "Mutley96" Aclass Sold
Kevin Parvin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Kevin Parvin »

Thanks for the info.
I had the camera at the Thorpe Bay Nationals but decided not to bother with it and concentrate on my sailing. I'm regretting that decision, as some of the footage in the windy conditions would have been good. Plenty of time to practice with it ready for Weymouth 2018.

Kevin