Boat Width

Dart 15 Chat
ianmounce
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Boat Width

Post by ianmounce »

Hi All

I am putting some new rollers onto my Sprint 15 boat trailer, my question is what is the width of a Sprint 15 where the skegs would sit on the rollers?.
Corky the Cat
Warrant Officer (Class One)
Warrant Officer (Class One)

Re: Boat Width

Post by Corky the Cat »

Phew! Thank goodness we have a new thread. I beginning to think everyone had gone to euroland.

I once put new rollers on my trailer. It took me ages to get the measurements right, even though I knew they were in line with the skegs. Having got the measurements right, I drilled the holes, taking care to ensure the bottom holes were in line with the top holes. I then fitted the rollers and loaded the boat. Perfect! That was until..................

someone suggested I fit the rollers with U-bolts, and move along as required.

Now, they tell me!
Andy B
Warrant Officer (Class Two)
Warrant Officer (Class Two)

Post by Andy B »

Just measured mine, 71.75 inches from centre line of skegs.
Dart 15, 1899 , Stewartby SC
ianmounce
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by ianmounce »

Hi Guys

Thank you for your help it is much appreciated.
edchris177
Leading Rate
Leading Rate

Post by edchris177 »

As Corky posted, use "U" bolts, then you have flexibility.
You can achieve a close enough measurement on skeg hulls by measuring across the top decks, from the centre of one hull to the centre of the other, as they are symmetrical.
I have two other skeg hull Cats, a Nacra 5.7, & a Nacra 5.0, & a "round hull" Hobie 18 Magnum,(wings), but only one Trailex aluminum trailer. All four boats vary in width.
I don't often move them past the back yard, but on occasion people have borrowed one, & it is a 5 minute job to move the rollers on one side by a few inches.
It may be blasphemy to mention other Cats in this forum, but, perhaps you occasionally have the need to move a different Cat? Say one with round hulls that need their weight distributed on more area than the rollers provide.
One trailer will accommodate many Cats with a simple jig, knocked together from a piece cut out of 10" diameter plastic sewer pipe, a few countersunk SS screws, & bits of 2x4 or 2x2. Attach the bits of lumber so the roller will just fit into the gap.
I use V bunks at the front, rollers at the rear. If you need to move a round hull cat, simply drop the jig over the rear rollers, then secure the Cat. This is how I move the H18
Attachments
cradles.JPG
cradles.JPG (87.88 KiB) Viewed 3104 times
IMG_4672a.jpg
IMG_4672a.jpg (154.69 KiB) Viewed 3104 times