Whitstable Nationals Update from the Committee

Sprint 15 Chat

Whitstable Nationals Update from the Committee

Postby Jenny Ball » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:44 pm

Hi All

We have for many weeks been closely monitoring government and RYA guidance and also liaising with Whitstable Yacht Club who are due to host our National Championships in late August. Thank you also to all our members who responded to our survey and let us know your individual thoughts about attending the event.

The Committee met last night to review member responses, the latest government guidance issued last week and accompanying advice from the RYA issued this week. A summary of discussions is as follows:

Positive developments:
Great response and positive interest from the members' survey to compete if the Nationals go ahead.
Accommodation, pubs and restaurants now re-opening - a key enabler for our traveller events.

Continued limit of no more than 6 people from different households & gatherings over 30 prohibited by law.
RYA Guidance suggests its too early for clubs and classes to consider hosting events.
Race management & safety boat challenges of social distancing are unchanged by recent guidance.
Ditto considerations re: changing facilities and shore based facilities.
Whitstable YC is in a busy public location - added difficulties of avoiding gatherings and contact not just within the fleet,
but also with members of the public.

It would not be appropriate as an Association to proceed with the Nationals under current guidance/legislation.
Even if lockdown arrangements are further eased in four week's time, this will be too short notice for the Nationals in late August and we need to give due notice to members.

Today, we discussed these conclusions with Whitstable YC today who are in agreement.

With great disappointment, we have jointly agreed that the Nationals Championships planned for August cannot proceed.

We will continue to monitor the situation regarding the Sport Nationals scheduled for late September and are liaising closely with NDYC. We will review this again in around four week's time.

We are also considering one other option to host a National Championships later this year. It is too soon to explore that opportunity with key stakeholders right now but we will do so at the earliest appropriate opportunity.

We are also continuing to plan for a Winter TT Series and liaising with clubs to establish provisional dates (subject, of course, to guidance and legislation in place at the time).

Looking slightly further ahead - we have already booked our 2021 Nationals at Weymouth (WPNSA) across the weekend of 26th and 27th June 2021. Please put that in your diaries now!

We will also continue to liaise with Whitstable YC re: future opportunities for them to host a Sprint 15 event. We would very much welcome the opportunity to return to WYC at the appropriate time.

Most importantly, we hope all our members and their families remain safe and well and hope you are all able to get near or on the water.

Jenny - on behalf of the Sprint 15 Association Committee
Jenny Ball
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:07 pm

Re: Whitstable Nationals Update from the Committee

Postby Jon Pearse » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:16 am

Very disappointing but the right decision in light of the current situation. Always going to be a difficult call but much as we all Love our sailing and Sprinting we can only enjoy it if we are healthy! Well healthyish....

Will look forward to hearing about a further venue later especially if its somewhere we haven't sailed and has the water with a briney taste and real waves nudge nudge wink wink !!!!

Meanwhile live in hope of the sport nationals.
Jon Pearse
Petty Officer
Petty Officer
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 9:09 pm

Return to Sprint 15

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests