The UK Dart 15 Association

Advice needed re. furling cleat replacement please

Dart 15 Chat
Jaycb
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Advice needed re. furling cleat replacement please

Post by Jaycb »

Hi all, I'm hoping that someone can advise me on how to solve this...
Among a few other maintenance jobs I tried to replace my jib furler cleat today, but while trying to remove the old one both screws have sheared off just below the head. I'm not sure how to proceed... Pry of the cleat body and try to twist the remaining screw shafts ot with molegrips? Saw them off flush and drill new holes in the beam? Try to drill them out?
Also, am not able to find any info on what screws they are - are they machine screws into threaded holes or self-tappers?
Grateful for and advice...
Thanks.
J.
"Pray for the wind"
Brian Phipps
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Advice needed re. furling cleat replacement please

Post by Brian Phipps »

Suggestion. first see if you can lift the cleat off and leave the shank of the old screws exposed. If all good use some freeing agent around area, and with a good set of mole grips gently work the thread first forward and then back until they ease up and remove. These are s/s self tapper screws. When replacing use a bit of copper ease or similar.
PS. you could try a bit of gentle heat around the area.
If the screws will not remove cut them off file them flush and re-drill slightly to the left or right of the original holes.
Hope that helps.
Windsport technical support
Jaycb
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jaycb »

Thanks Brian, I'll give it a try. Do you sell the appropriate stainless screws please?
Regards,
J.
"Pray for the wind"
Brian Phipps
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Brian Phipps »

Hi, it might depend on the type and size of cleat fitted to your boat , but I am sure the Windsport tech team can help you if you give them a call.
Regards Brian
Jaycb
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jaycb »

Hi again Brian,
I managed to get both screw stubs out! Filed two small parallel "flats" on each one, then with heavy pliers (mole grips wouldn't hold) did as you suggested - first one way, then the other. Kept applying WD40 as they were coming out, and looks as if the threads are intact. The screws were 4.2mm diameter across the threads and I've found a supplier.
Good advice re. the copper grease.
Thanks again. :D
J.
"Pray for the wind"
Jaycb
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jaycb »

Hi again Brian,
I managed to get both screw stubs out! Filed two small parallel "flats" on each one, then with heavy pliers (mole grips wouldn't hold) did as you suggested - first one way, then the other. Kept applying WD40 as they were coming out, and looks as if the threads are intact. The screws were 4.2mm diameter across the threads and I've found a supplier.
Good advice re. the copper grease.
Thanks again. :D
J.
"Pray for the wind"