Problem hooking the mainsail

Dart 15 Chat
Thierry Msika
Petty Officer
Petty Officer

Problem hooking the mainsail

Post by Thierry Msika »

Hello,

sometimes I hook the mainsail up first try, most of the times not. Yesterday I was trying for 10 minutes in all possible positions, bow down or up, wind from different directions. Is there a trick? Should I turn the figure-of-eight knot in a particular position? In the end I got it hooked up but I don't really know why.
Thanks, Thierry, Loctudy
Liam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Problem hooking the mainsail

Post by Liam »

Start with the boat flat, facing into the wind.
Make sure the halyard is on the starboard side of the hook when you pull up. If at any time it gets onto the port side of the hook, take the sail down and start again.
Pull from the back, slightly to the starboard side.
Figure of eight knot should face backwards.
If you are on your own then sit on the beam on the starboard side of the mast. You can then ease the sail up the mast by the battens as you pull.
If you have somebody with you get them to guide the sail into the slot and push the sail up by the battens. Pull the halyard from the back of the boat taking care not to drop the halyard in the sand.
If it is really not working then it may be the shape of the hook doesn't suit the gap between the sheave and the top of the sail - they are not all the same. It might need some filing to get a groove for the shackle to drop into. Most likely it's technique.
2034 - No Quarter, 1957 - Dreadnought, 1709 - Biscuit
Shanklin Sailing Club
Holder of OTT Shield
9th most improved at 2018 Nationals
Thierry Msika
Petty Officer
Petty Officer

Re: Problem hooking the mainsail

Post by Thierry Msika »

Thanks Liam,

always reactive! Today it went on the hook first try. I probably need to crack the nut myself.

Cheers, Thierry