Important Update re: Carsington

Dart 15 Chat
Jenny Ball
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Important Update re: Carsington

Post by Jenny Ball »

Hi All

Just a quick heads up. As with many reservoirs, water levels at Carsington are reduced as water is extracted to address effects of the drought this summer. There is plenty of water for sailing but launching and recovery from the club is affected.

At the moment, the TT can still go ahead but water levels are still changing.

Carsington Water will make a final decision this Wednesday 31st August as to whether our TT can practically go ahead.

So please look out for an update on Wednesday before setting off for the weekend.

Fingers crossed!

Jenny
George Love
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Important Update re: Carsington

Post by George Love »

Hi All,
Just a quick clarification on how the low water levels affect launching and recovery. There is only one slipway giving access to the water so, assuming we can go ahead, boats will have to launch one after the other. This happened a few years ago at one of our previous TTs when the water was low. Launching and recovery may take a little longer but if we do as we normally do and help each other, it will all work. RIBs will be on hand for a tow out to the main body of water if required. And the Race Team will make allowances so all competitors can reach the start line in good time before the first warning signal even if that's a wee while later than the SIs.
There will be NO dragging boats through the muddy beach :lol:
Hoping that clarifies and as Jenny has said - "Watch this space from next Wednesday".
Finger crossed, especially as I've ordered the wind but can't influence Severn Trent on the water levels!
Cheers
George Love : Fly-by-Wire : 2019
George Love
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by George Love »

Just a quick update having spent all weekend on the water at Carsington. Whilst the tide is still going out and subject to a final review on Wednesday morning, the general consensus is that our TT will still be able to go ahead as planned.
Keep a lookout for the final decision on Wednesday but I expect it to be a "GO!"
Cheers,
George Love
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by George Love »

5cbc50ea-fc8b-4dfc-ae4b-6eea52362093.jpg
5cbc50ea-fc8b-4dfc-ae4b-6eea52362093.jpg (132.18 KiB) Viewed 4518 times
Here is a photo of Carsington taken on Saturday. You can see it has plenty of water for us to play on. Hopefully it will allay any fears on how much water there actually is.
The only issue we have is with respect to launching as there is only one slipway available. So, launching and recovery may take a little longer but we have plans in place to make that as easy as possible. There will be NO wading through mud!
If you are planning to come (and subject to the final decision on Wednesday as to whether the event can happen,) may I encourage you to enter online before Wednesday. You can still enter on the day but I'd be most grateful for a 'heads up' on that so catering, etc. can be managed beforehand. Just PM me at: george.love@icloud.com
Many thanks in advance and safe travels.
Cheers