The UK Dart 15 Association

Damage to tiller arms at rudders end.

Dart 15 Chat
Kev Robbins
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Damage to tiller arms at rudders end.

Post by Kev Robbins »

hi All, I'm sailing Sparky no 317 at Pagham and have noticed I need to repair both Rudder tillers arms at the rudder end. I have 3 rivets on each which are loose and the aluminum is split/cracked and badly corroded.
I have two thoughts, either drill out, remove corroded area, fill and fit a aluminum patch and rivet on again. Or a little bit more drastic but could work ?? is to chop at an angle the 3.5cm that is damaged on both and I would then have clean undamaged aluminum to rivet and rebuild. I appear to have 4 cm spare at the other end of the tiller arm slider so it should work. Has anyone done this or will it completely ruin the whole thing. I recognise the rudders won't turn quite as far. Any thoughts most welcome. These are great boats, and this forum has really helped me in so many ways. Thanks
Keith Bartlett
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Re: Damage to tiller arms at rudders end.

Post by Keith Bartlett »

Hi Kev, this appears to be a fairly common problem on older boats. I would certainly try to re rivit with an Aulminium patch. If this doesnt work , get back to me as I still have a variety of Rudder spares.

Cheers Keith FREDDIE1962
Kev Robbins
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Re: Damage to tiller arms at rudders end.

Post by Kev Robbins »

Thanks Keith that's appricate.