RYA Dinghy Show - couple more volunteers needed

Dart 15 Chat
Jenny Ball
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

RYA Dinghy Show - couple more volunteers needed

Post by Jenny Ball »

Hi All

As you will know from the e-newsletters, the Dart 15s will again have a stand at the RYA Dinghy Show at Farnborough on 25th and 26th February.

Thank you to those who have already volunteered to help man the stand. We need just a couple more volunteers to help on Saturday afternoon and Sunday afternoon. You don't need to be a Dart 15 guru - you just need to enjoy sailing them and talking about them!

If you can help - please contact Ed: edtd@outlook.com

Individual RYA members can apply for free tickets to the show. Dart 15 Association members can receive discounted ticket price - see the recent e-newsletter for the discount code.

Thank you!

Jenny
Mark Aldridge
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: RYA Dinghy Show - couple more volunteers needed

Post by Mark Aldridge »

..perhaps the newer location is of benefit to some, but from where I am it is an absolute pain to get to, so I'll not be going again whilst it's in Farnborough,
Mark Aldridge
Jenny Ball
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Jenny Ball »

I think its a longer journey for most of us as we are mostly not a south coast fleet. But everything about the venue - from parking to catering to environment is much better too - both as a visitor and an exhibitor. I think its a much better event since it moved to Farnborough (much as I love visiting Alexandra Palace).
Mark Aldridge
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Mark Aldridge »

..I miss the ease of a few pints followed by a snooze on the train for 40 mins home...

I think the walk from the train station up to AP was shorter than the one we had across the car park @ Farnborough too.
Mark Aldridge
Corky the Cat
Warrant Officer (Class One)
Warrant Officer (Class One)

Post by Corky the Cat »

Mark, I totally agree.

I remember the AP show when it was merely for class associations. A sort of rally for sailing enthusiasts. In many ways, it still is. But subsequently, commercial interests moved in. And finally, the RYA itself.

The RYA is obsessed with the Olympic challenge. They have a sailing agenda for children starting with Optimists. The idea is that an Olympic sailor will emerge and win a medal. The non Olympic classes have become a sideshow.

Unfortunately, the facilities are in the South. Eg at Weymouth, Hayling Island etc. Their preferred venue would be in the south, somewhere like Southampton. But northerners also need to be enticed to attend. (Because they want their money). So the RYA chose a central location. The RYA must think Farnborough is in the middle of England!
Mark Aldridge
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Mark Aldridge »

How was the Dinghy Show in general & more specifically how was the interest with the Dart 15?

Any more new boats sold??
Mark Aldridge