Draycote open 12th January - be there!

Dart 15 Chat
pmslater
Petty Officer
Petty Officer

Draycote open 12th January - be there!

Post by pmslater »

Hello all,
Yes this will be the Catamaran event of the year and everybody has been down at the club today race tuning and generally bimbling with their boats in the vain hope that this will improve their performance!
Needless to say the Draycote Sprint 15ers are generally hyped up and feeling ultra competitive - there should be a minimum of 7 home boats turning out so please make the effort to come down and join the fun.
Yes I know its a long range forecast but the weather is also looking very favourable!
Cheers,
Pete Slater. Draycote Cat Fleet Captain

[/img][/list]
Charles
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Charles »

Peter

I'm planning to be there & I spoke to Steve Sawford today, who is also intending to attend. He did say there have even been rumours of Mr Snell dusting his boat down !

Hope it's a bit warmer, but just as windy as last time!!

Charles.
Charles
1237, Sticks and Stones
1942, Ingrid
Yorkshire Dales SC
God does not deduct from our allotted life span the time spent sailing (or talking, texting, reading, posting to websites & emailing about it)
alex955
Petty Officer
Petty Officer

Post by alex955 »

Hear Hear! - for conditions warmer and windier!
Those of us fool hardy enough to travel all the way to Derby before discovering thier hands couldn't cope with sleet, have been blessed with a very understanding Santa.....
Robert
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Crash Bang

Post by Robert »

I'm in!
Robert England
Erling
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Erling »

My boats ready to go on the roof so I will be there.
PS
Someone is paying me to sink Steve or at least slow him at the start to give the rest a chance.
Steve Sawford
Warrant Officer (Class Two)
Warrant Officer (Class Two)

Post by Steve Sawford »

Its true I will be there.
:wink:
No need to brake my boat I am willing to come last for a 24 tins of quality beer :lol:

Steve
Sailing and racing Dart 15`s for 23 years ,
What a fantastic boat . 1733 Tigershark owned her for 22yrs What a gal
Charles
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Charles »

Steve, I note you have updated your sign off. Are you trying to make a point that you're still one of the young ones who can remember his age & not just what he had for breakfast on his wedding day (in 1962)?? :lol:
Charles
1237, Sticks and Stones
1942, Ingrid
Yorkshire Dales SC
God does not deduct from our allotted life span the time spent sailing (or talking, texting, reading, posting to websites & emailing about it)
Charles
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Charles »

Anyway Peter, who's fixing the weather in favour of those who don't like mince pies &/or had the winter vomiting virus?? Let's hope the weather systems change speed soon!!
Charles
1237, Sticks and Stones
1942, Ingrid
Yorkshire Dales SC
Robert
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Hufflepuff

Post by Robert »

The new WRF 9km forecast on Windguru looks hopeful, predicting 14kts, gusting 17kts, but it's out of agreement with all the others unfortunately.

Perhaps we could encourage Peter to blow a bit harder? If it's going to drop, however, can we have 5kts please?

:wink: Robert
Robert England
Graham Collett
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Graham Collett »

Firstly, I really enjoyed the racing Saturday my first time out in an open meet with the Sprint 15's having only got the boat in August.

Secondly a Sprint 15 tiller extension less the end of the UJ was handed to me yesterday when I was on OD duty at Draycote (standard aluminium laser type). Jan reckons it may be from geriactrix (or some other spelling). I have it at my house in Rugby if the owner wishes to contact me and we can somehow arrange a reconcillation!!

Graham Collett
Sprint 1941
Better a crap day on the water than a good day in the office
Robert
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Unsinkable tiller extension

Post by Robert »

Thanks for the detective work Graham. I am the guilty party and Jan is quite right. The UJ failed at the windward mark during the second race. I was well placed and about to go behind two boats at the mark who had just about tacked in front of me when the thing came off in my hand. Due to the pressing need to avoid a damaging collision I dropped it and dived for the tiller bar with both hands to bear away sharply. Fortunately I had already uncleated the mainsheet in anticipation of needing to duck behind.

My next trick was to sail round in circles looking for the blasted thing, which was a bit of a waste of time as the rest of the fleet decided not to join in the search and sailed straight past me. Resisting the temptation to sail for shore and get an early start to packing up the boat I followed everyone else, steering with my foot.

I must practise this technique because I achieved a better result than I had in the first race, although I did have to stare hard at Gordon Goldstone who voiced his right for water at the finishing mark. The line was angled such that if I gave him more than he needed he could have overtaken me. Sorry Gordon.

If you are able to pass the extension to John Stone, perhaps he might be able to pass it to Robert England the younger at work and it will eventually find its way back to me. Alternatively if anyone is in need at Draycote they can have it as I have ordered a replacement.

Cheers

Robert the older.
Robert England