The UK Dart 15 Association

Seasalter TT

Dart 15 Chat
SteveR
Warrant Officer (Class Two)

Seasalter TT

Post by SteveR »

We are planning to arrive on Friday night 21st all being well. Can we camp on Friday night ????
Loosecannon
SteveR
Loosecannon1910
& Dee S C
Steve Willis
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Seasalter TT

Post by Steve Willis »

Hi Steve,

Yes you are welcome to camp in our boat field, FOC to all entrants and family, Friday to Sunday. Nominally we will be on site from about 5pm but if you want to arrive earlier let me know and I can make sure someone is around. If you want a meal that evening let me know beforehand so I an let Lesley know. The club bar is open on Friday nights for drinks, games, TV and relaxation.

You will be given the temporary door code for the weekend that will give you access to the toilets and showers overnight.

Anyone who wants to arrive earlier than Friday and camp later than Sunday - let me know.

I will sort out the NOR later this week and get it posted. First race on Saturday is at about 10:45-11:00.

Looking forward to seeing you.

Steve
Last edited by Steve Willis on Mon May 27, 2013 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Willis
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Steve Willis »

As I mentioned elsewhere in the forum we have been checking our SSC 15s and 18s for alignment of hulls and rudders. We use a wooden table on which the boat beams sit with the hulls hanging either side so we can put rudders down and line along the skeg line underneath.

The table will be available on Friday evening and Saturday afternoon, after sailing, in the boat field. I am happy to check any visitors' boats should you wish.

So far we have found several toeing in and one toeing out at the bows and three with rudders not in line with each other (these needed about 10-15mm shorter con bar). it has made quite a difference to how some boats perform.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Hi Steve
Many thanks looking forward to it. wil let you know if we will arrive before 5.00

SteveR
Loosecannon1910
& Dee S C
Steve Willis
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Steve Willis »

The first two visitors for the Seasalter TT arrived at the club on the ebb tide tonight from IOSSC - floating in through the club's evening on-the-water sailing instruction fleet. Trophies ordered, grass cut, buoys painted, committee and patrol boats checked - ready !

Currently the forecast is for F3-4 SW with light cloud cover for next weekend so flat water at last after a few weeks of horrendous F6-9 winds mainly from the NE - very rough.

Hope you can make it - as usual I will be RO, sorry !

By the weekend three more boats will have had alignment checked - 2 rudders rebuilt last week.
Erling
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Erling »

Can I have the table about 1930 Friday as on the 1530 ferry.
Steve Willis
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Steve Willis »

That's fine Erling, see you Friday (forecast changing by the hour at present !?*!?)
pegums
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by pegums »

Looking forward to it, might make it to the bar on Friday night, depends on the m25 ! Currently looks like it might be a bit windy, bet Kevin is looking forward to that ! Cheers stew
Kevin Dutch
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Kevin Dutch »

I've been watching the forecast and I'm looking forward to it ;). I'm still in two minds as to whether uni-rig or sport mode. Any suggestions?
1938 Flying Dutchman
@sprint151938
Steve Willis
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Steve Willis »

Current forecast is F5-6 SW gusting 7 on Saturday but dropping for Sunday.

What that means for SSC is flatish water with some hairy gybes on the western side of the course -fun

but I am watching the Met Office thunderstorm warnings.

If the winds are quite high/gusty I will use a start from the tower with an extended line rather than the committee boat start as that will keep the it partly in the lee of the sea wall

Sunday is the last day of the Swale Regatta so we should see a lot of sailing cruisers to the west, using the Swale Channel.
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Bob Carter »

Kevin Dutch wrote:I've been watching the forecast and I'm looking forward to it ;). I'm still in two minds as to whether uni-rig or sport mode. Any suggestions?
Hi Kevin,
If you sail Sport the handicap is 860 until we get resolution on the issue. :( I bet you can't win on 860 if there are some decent unarig sailors taking part.
I dare you to try............... :wink:
Cheers
Bob
Steve Willis
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Steve Willis »

Well what a weekend. 13 visitors joined 6 SSC boats to sail three races at the limit - F4-6 gusting a very blustery F7-8 with a side chop.

Full report on Tuesday but the Southern Championship winners are: 1st Kevin Dutch (4 points) 2nd Paul Grattage (5 points), 3rd Nick Dewhirst (10 points). 1st and 2nd was decided by the race to the last mark before the finish leg in race 3.

Our thanks for everyone who both sailed and helped out in trying conditions. We hope the SSC Force 8 Competency Certificates provide a small reminder of the adrenaline rush !

One look over the sea wall on Saturday morning saw the rapid disappearance of jibs so the PY issue blew away with the wind. After postponing Race 2 from Saturday to Sunday due to near F9 gusts (47mph) a number of visitors made the trip to Manston to see the air show - including the last flying Vulcan.

Our waterborne photographers struggled at times but we have about 250 photos covering most competitors which we will get loaded as soon as possible. 4 more boats (including 1st and 2nd winners) checked on the table - clearly more attention needs to be paid to rudders - a number of pintle / blade buffer repairs required.

May your next meeting be more fun / less trial.

Steve Willis
Kevin Dutch
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Kevin Dutch »

Thank you once again Steve for being a sensible race officer in the testing conditions and not letting people break too much equipment!
1938 Flying Dutchman
@sprint151938
Liam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Liam »

Full marks to Sealsalter. Never been to a club where they fettle your rudders, align your hulls and put your tent up.

Going to lie down in dark room now.
2034 - No Quarter, 1957 - Dreadnought, 1709 - Biscuit
Shanklin Sailing Club
Holder of OTT Shield
9th most improved at 2018 Nationals
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Many thanks to Steve & the Seasalter team for a brilliant windy weekend, great club
also much appreciation to Erling, Kevin & Paul for all your help with the boat, Back is a bit better now.
arrived home about 4:30
Loosecannon1910
& Dee S C